Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 3000 ZL5

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

I just got a used Acer Aspire 3000 Series ZL5.  I am having issue with the Audio, there are no speakers working, and headphones don't work.  I checked all the settings, hot-keys etc. and all is good.

The mouse pad is not working as it should either.  I did read some information here after doing a search, the only good thing I got is a link to get some drivers to maybe fix the mouse-pad.   

Another question: The C:Drive says that only 10GB is being Used and 69.6 of free space.  Is that possible with an XP-32 install, seems very small to me.

I'm wondering if I should re-install xp, is there a way I can see when it was installed last?

XP Home Edition 32bit SP3 Buid 2600

X86-based PC

Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+ 1.58 GHz PAE Enabled

1.43GB of RAM

Panda Antivirus

2GB memory

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

Did you try reinstalling the audio drivers at all?
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

DeimosChaos

Yes I just installed Realtek AC'97 Driver from download.net.com after removing the original, but, I don't know what I am doing and it did not work lol.  I'm having fun though :thumbup2:   Thanks for the link, perhaps this is what I need - Acer stuff.  I will take a look now!  Thanks so much, I want to get this working if possible.  I did download a program from driversupport.com because I did not realize they were installing software on my pc to scan and install all proper drivers for acer, but they want to charge me.

I did also go into the Device Manager and try to update some of the drivers but it would not let me.  I am guessing that these are proprietary to Acer and you link will help.

Edited by pcpunk, 04 February 2015 - 09:58 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:10 PM

Will you teach me how to do this, I need to learn about drivers and the proper way to install them.  I am at the site you linked me to, but I don't know if I am supposed to Uninstall the old ones first?  Here is where I am at: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:35 PM

Okay, so it usually good to uninstall the old drivers first and reboot. That will insure any bad drivers are gone and cleans up the system.

On the Acer website type in your model number in the second search box, or use the serial number and put that in the first search box. Once the page loads select the correct operating system and then download the audio drivers. I believe they were the first selection in the list. Then just run the exe if you have already gotten rid of the old drivers and rebooted. Hopefully that works and no audio was just the cause of bad drivers and needing a fresh install of good ones.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:57 PM

I got the driver and downloaded it but cannot get it installed.  I have not tried Uninstalling yet, I used the Device Manager and opened the Properties > Driver > and used the "Update Driver" choice and followed the prompts to "Downloads" were it is, but that is far as I got.  

Will it not work this way, will I have to Uninstall First and then reboot, then install?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:48 PM

I tried for hours to do this but could not.  I'm supposed to Unzip the Folder right?

I tried Uninstalling then Reboot but the old Driver was still there.

I was using this PDF to guide me: http://www.rme-audio.de/download/xp_driver_install_and_update.pdf

Edited by pcpunk, 04 February 2015 - 11:50 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

You should also be able to uninstall the driver via "Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs". In there you should find be able to find the audio driver in the list of applications. I am not sure exactly what its name will be though.. sorry.

The file you downloaded should just be an executable file... or so I would think. I'll look into this more when I am home tonight, currently at work.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

I already Uninstalled from the Add-Remove panel, but I don't think this is right.  After that I re-installed from download.net.com and don't even know if I got the right Controller now?  Although, like you have said, they also are calling it the Driver, I don't understand.  This is Uninstalling the Controller as I understand it, and the driver needs to be uninstalled and installed via. the Device Manager.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

Right click the sound device in Device Manager and select Properties. It may have a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy the first line in your next post.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

No Yellow exclamation mark as I have read about this.

PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7012&SUBSYS_00831025&REV_A0

Here is some more info JohnC_21, I got this from running a "Driver Support Scan", from the name of the company.  Here is what it says, hopefully this is also why I am not getting the mouse pad to work.

Driver Support Scan, three drivers out of date:

IDE ATA/ATAPI  CONTROLERS (OUT OF DATE: 1)

SiS PCI IDE Controller

Keyboards (out of date: 1)

Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Universal Bus Controllers (out of date: 1)

SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

Thanks very much JohnC!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

The link I gave you to the Acer drivers page also has the touchpad drivers. Again you could try deleting the old ones and installing the new ones to see if it fixes your issue.

I'ts not showing your audio drivers to be out of date...
Try this:
If you already removed the old audio drivers via the add/remove programs then maybe you could try updating the drivers via the device manager if you haven't already done so. Iam not exactly sure if you have or haven't. You should be able to right click on the audio driver in device manager and go to properites, from there you should find a tab that has "update driver" inside of it (its been a decently long time since I have been in the device manager section so I am not sure exactly what tab it is in). Then just point that driver updater to the folder you downloaded the audio driver in and the driver itself. I would recommend using the drivers from Acer's site directly.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:47 PM

If you cannot get your Audio to work after exhausting all your options download the Audio driver here. Select XP > Audio > SIS 7012

It's a ZIP file. Unzip to a folder on the desktop of an admin account and double click the setup.exe file. It may take awhile to get the download after you press the download button.

If the setup.exe file does not work. Move the XP folder in the unzipped folder to the desktop. Go to the sound device in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the driver tab select Update Driver. Have Disk and browse to the XP folder. Point it to the inf file in the XP folder.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/updatedriverxp.htm

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

The link I gave you to the Acer drivers page also has the touchpad drivers. Again you could try deleting the old ones and installing the new ones to see if it fixes your issue.

I'ts not showing your audio drivers to be out of date...
Try this:
If you already removed the old audio drivers via the add/remove programs then maybe you could try updating the drivers via the device manager if you haven't already done so. Iam not exactly sure if you have or haven't. You should be able to right click on the audio driver in device manager and go to properites, from there you should find a tab that has "update driver" inside of it (its been a decently long time since I have been in the device manager section so I am not sure exactly what tab it is in). Then just point that driver updater to the folder you downloaded the audio driver in and the driver itself. I would recommend using the drivers from Acer's site directly.

Yes, you gave me the drivers page, thank you!  I have tried deleting the old ones and installing the new but it don't work for some reason.  

Thanks for pointing out that the audio is not out of date, I did not see that at first because I did two scans at first with different outcomes.  However the driver at Acer website that you pointed me to is a different driver version? so perhaps that scanner an't that smart lol, I don't know.

I already commented on using Add-Remove Programs, that appears to be the Controller and not the driver no?  I already tried Updating the drivers via. the Device Manager, many times, and with the downloaded drivers from the acer site.

Thanks! 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

I have tried this through the Device Manager many times and feel I am doing it right.  I did Uninstall Realtek via. Add-Remove Programs once, then re-installed via. Download.net.com, so I don't know if I even got the right one at this point.

http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-AC-97-Driver-Windows-98-Me-2000-XP-2003/3000-2120_4-10238712.html

I should also mention that I have a recovery disc for this Acer Aspire.  If I just re-install the OS with this, will it go and get the newest stuff without intervention from me.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind learning-but would also like to get up and running.  Whenever I get to choosing the Unzipped driver file though the update tool in device manager it just won't load, I wonder if the driver I am trying to install is not compatible with the controller/driver that is at the link above?  I still don't get the difference in these things.  Like what is the difference between what I uninstalled in Add-Remove Programs and what is in the device manager? 

pcpunk out!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users