Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to wifi network?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 epicshorky

epicshorky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

I will try to be as detailed and to the point as possible. I have an HP Pavilion dm4 laptop and have never had any issues with it, runs Norton 360, regularly scan it and back up... Anyway, I have 3 main wifi networks that I usually connect to: home, school, and work. It always connects, no issues etc. Just last night after leaving home (where I did have internet access) and coming to work, my laptop ABSOLUTELY refused to connect to the wifi; from limited connectivity, to an issue with the router access point, and then just being straight up unable to. I have never had an issue with this network and was able to connect perfectly fine to it the previous night. I assumed I had an issue with my wireless card but upon leaving work I was able to perfectly connect to the school and home wifi networks. I manually added the network, manually added the IP and DNS, cleared that out in case it wasn't reading the IP for here etc. (I actually didn't do this but one of my coworkers is in IT and knows a fair amount.) We ruled out viruses and even still I don't believe its an issue with the work's wifi because other laptops will connect perfectly fine, and even my iPhone has no issues, we've even tried disconnecting and connecting various devices, and they still connected. It's just this specific wifi network that my laptop won't seem to connect to. I was able to connect earlier today to the network but after closing the laptop (not shutting down, just sleep/hibernate whichever you want to call it) the connection disappeared again. I checked YouTube, Facebook etc. And they worked up until this moment. I would really appreciate any insight any of you might have since I really need the wifi. Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:32 AM

Try deleting your Wireless card from device manager and rebooting your machine.  This will reinstall the wireless card.

If that doesn't work download the current wireless drivers from HP to see if that fixes your issue.

Next up would be a BIOS update.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

you said your friend was in IT but is he part of the IT at work? Just because you can connect with everything else and it connects everywhere else doesn't mean it's not something on their network. Your MAC address could have been blocked. I'd ask them to have a look at their network security and see if your laptop got caught in the security net.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users