Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Performance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SuperPatink

SuperPatink

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

I am trying to figure out why my desktop is so outperformed by my laptop. I built my desktop a year ago and had my laptop built around a year ago. Shortly after I built by desktop I spilled some water on it and it shut down. I took it to a computer repair shop to have them restart my desktop and they just checked to make sure that turning it back on wouldn't cause any more damage. I got my laptop shortly after this so I did not use my desktop very much because I was playing with my laptop. I noticed that my laptop seriously outperforms my desktop. I am trying to figure out if there is some water damage to my desktop, or if this performance difference should be expected from the different processors. 

Desktop: 

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Installed Ram: 16 GB

Laptop:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70 GHz

Installed RamL 8 GB

One of my friends thinks that the ram in my Desktop could be damaged from the water. Would my desktop still even be able to function if the ram was destroyed? 

Here are some comparisons between the two systems. 

The processor for the desktop

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3770+%40+3.40GHz

the processor for the laptop

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4800MQ+%40+2.70GHz&id=1927

Once again, the Laptop seriously outperforms the desktop. One way I noticed is when I play League of Legends on my laptop the FPS is in the 200s and when I play it on my desktop it is in the 50s.

Another game that I notice this on is Europa Universalis IV. The game is played on the best graphics and extremely smooth on my laptop. The desktop can only manage the worst graphics setting and the game is laggy. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

We would need more information but I suspect video drivers are your problem and windows updates.

How to Speccy

Download speccy on your desktop and laptop and post the link in your next post.

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

Do you have a video card on your desktop machine?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users