Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded an "update" for CHROME and now I have a black screen.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sandman512

sandman512

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

So, I went ahead like a jerk and downloaded an "update" for Chrome.  A few screens came up instructing me to call some number and have my credit card ready.  Anyway, I powered my machine off, tried to get in SAFE MODE; no luck.  The screen then booted up to a completely black screen.  Am I screwed?  Any advice and input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

PS:  Windows 7 Professional.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hello sandman , I belive you have been a victim of a scam if you say you had strange windows poping on to call a certain phone number possible the Hacker phone number to take your credit card credentials ...

Unplug your internet connection , try to boot in Safe Mode and try to unistall your Chrome and wipe browser history junk and also , run a scan with the antivirus or antimalware you have if is possible some of them don't work in Safe Mode .

I use in Safe Mode Malwarebytes Pro + Chameleon and DrWeb tool (newest one) www.drweb.com > DrWeb CureIt  :warrior:

Edited by Gmer99, 03 February 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#3 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

If your PC will refuse to boot in Safe Mode the only thing you can do if you have a desktop is to remove the jumper of your motherboard near bios chip is a tiny piece of plastic and release ur CMOS Cache so is called CLR_CMOS , after you did that you start your PC and you enter automatically in BIOS MENU ... that is for technicians to handle the bios menu , if you have laptop is kinda hard to do that inside your laptop I did not try this operaton on laptops so i will not advice you  to do something stupid , good luck 

#4 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I knew the pop ups were a scam, just get get this thing into safe mode.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users