Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem when opening up iTunes, 2 icons appear. Tried unpinning. HELP?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Star_Slight

Star_Slight

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

Ok soi've just done an iTunes update and after loading up iTunes from my taskbar it opens up a 2nd icon next to it with a folder as the icon instead (see attached pic) very annoying!!

I've tried changing the icon but it won't let me change it to the red iTunes symbol, i've also noticed that the program file name is now called "iTunes (4)" why would this be?  i've also tried unpinning and re-pinning, nothing seems to be working.

can someone help me out please?

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 06 February 2015 - 12:59 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

Just noticed this message too if it has any significance. 

Attached Files

Edited by Star_Slight, 03 February 2015 - 06:55 PM.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

Hi Star :)

I suggest you to completely uninstall iTunes, and delete its folder in Program Files (x86). From there, re-download the iTunes installer and reinstall it. Also, if there's more than one iTunes folder in Program Files (x86), delete them as well. Do this only after iTunes has been uninstalled. Let me know if you encounter any errors during the process.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

Ok so i've done exactly as described....

I've uninstalled iTunes and deleted the folder from Program Files (x86) and then reinstalled iTunes and opened it and it's doing the same thing??

Edited by Star_Slight, 08 February 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

What's the situation in your taskbar now? The same as before? You can pin the iTunes icon, but when you open it, it opens under a Windows Explorer icon?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

Yep exactly the same as before. When i pin the iTunes icon it opens under the windows explorer icon. 

Do i need to the delete the iTunes folder from Program Files folder aswell as program files (x86) folder too, or are they the same thing?

Edited by Star_Slight, 08 February 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

You need to delete every Apple/iTunes related folders on your system. And I would uninstall QuickTime as well just in case.

unite_blue.png

#8 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

You need to delete every Apple/iTunes related folders on your system. And I would uninstall QuickTime as well just in case.

Will i lose all my data doing that i.e. playlists, play counts and any other configurations?

I want to iTunes to run exactly as it did before

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

Yes, you'll loose everything, this is what it means to do a "complete" uninstall. To make sure that it's done properly, I would even uninstall it using the portable Revo Uninstaller, and put the scan type to Advanced and then delete every Registry keys and files/folders associated to it.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-free-portable.php

unite_blue.png

#10 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

Oh.... well in that case, it's probably not worth the hassle.  Are you sure there is no other solution?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

Do you still have the same error message that you posted in your Post #2?

unite_blue.png

#12 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

Yes i do

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

The path isn't good, it shows C:\Program Files (x86) (x86)\iTunes, while it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes. There's an extra (x86) in the file path. What happens if you remove it?

unite_blue.png

#14 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

I just changed it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes" and nothing happened..

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

Well I looked up a bit more online to see if it was a known issue, and it looks like it is:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/itunes-icon-displays-twice-in-toolbar-windows-7.717451/
http://www.sevenforums.com/software/39022-itunes-update-now-theres-two-taskbar-icons-3.html
http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/52487-programs-appearing-twice-taskbar.html

The most common solution was to unpin the icon on which you click, then when the program is open, right-click on it's icon and select "Pin to the taskbar".

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users