Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile Vs System Memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ladysmom

ladysmom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

Hi! My husband has an HP Pentium 4 CPU 3.06 Ghz that used to have 512 mb of RAM. He had 1 GB of RAM installed last week and left one of the 256 mb ram. His system information indicates that he does indeed have 1.25 GB of Ram from the system properties "General" page, as well as full system information from the Tools section.

However, when you go to the advanced tab of system properties and pull up the user profiles page, he only shows a wierd size of 707 MB. Does that mean he has that much information on his computer or is that how much RAM his profile has access to? I've studied every post on here about memory and I didn't find an answer and I can't find one on Microsoft AT ALL.

I also have 1.25 GB of ram on mine, but when you pull up my user profile it shows that my size is 1.95 GB. I tried to attach the screen prints of those screens, but alas, it doesn't seem to be possible. My computer runs wonderfully, but Dave's is much slower opening programs than mine is, so I was wondering if this is a problem?

Would definitely appreciate some insight into this.

ladysmom

Edited by ladysmom, 24 June 2006 - 10:35 PM.

Loves her dogs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:29 AM

Hrmmm, that's an interesting problem. I've never heard of system memory being limited? You sure you're not looking at page file, or Hardrive space?

707Mb's could mean some's going to the intergrated video card on the motherboard, but I don't think it can share that much memory?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:37 AM

Hi ladysmom.
It has nothing to do with memory. What you're seeing is disk space used in that particular profile.
Your user profile doesn't include everything on the drive, only certain folders and applications that store the info in the user profile itself. Some of the folders and files include My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, Temp files, Temporary Internet files, History, Cookies, Favorites, Desktop Shortcuts etc,etc,. :thumbsup:

#4 ladysmom

ladysmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

AH HAH! So that's why I couldn't get any of the numbers I looked at to match! I kept looking at my entire hard drive and seeing 34 GB used out of 80 and didn't relate that to just what you listed! Thanks! Does it slow down your performance to have more of your data files in the profile than if you kept them on the hard drive itself? I keep most of what I'm working on in my documents for easy access - a lot of CAD files, pictures, etc.

ladysmom
Loves her dogs

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

Does it slow down your performance to have more of your data files in the profile than if you kept them on the hard drive itself?

Your profile data is part of all the data on the drive. In otherwards, your profile is on the hard drive. :thumbsup:
It's not the size of a profile but more the content of said profile that can effect speed. Your user profile is a group of settings and files that defines the environment that the system loads when you log on. It includes all the individual user specific configuration settings. If your looking for a cause of a slowdown, look for whatever's being used "in" the profile, not the size of the profile itself.

Edited by HitSquad, 26 June 2006 - 11:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users