Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live Versions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:12 PM

Hi All,

Where can I obtain these " Live " versions?

Thanks!
-----Mack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:47 PM

the best site for release announcements with info and links
http://distrowatch.com/

the ultimate live cd list
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

the best screenshot tour of all the distros
http://shots.osdir.com/

a somewhat new video screenshot site
http://www.osvids.com/
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#3 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am currently running Ubuntu. What is the difference between Ubuntu and Live CD's?
-----Mack

#4 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:24 AM

i also have a question about live cds - i hate to intrude on someone else's thread, but its somewhat about the same thing. .

when you use a live cd, how do you go back to windows? do you take out the live cd while you're still using it, or do you restart and remove the cd while the bios is loading or something?

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:29 AM

When most refer to a live cd they mean you run Linux from RAM and it never is installed on your hard drive. Usually you need 256Mb of RAM to do this. There are several flavors of Live Linux.
Knoppix
Ubuntu
Puppy
DSL (Damn Small Linux)
Some like Puppy linux can actually save informationto the same cd they boot from.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

What is the difference between Ubuntu and Live CD's?

basically linux comes 3 different ways.
1. install version
2. live cd or dvd version
3. live cd/dvd with option to install

ubuntu is a live cd with an install option.

when you use a live cd, how do you go back to windows? do you take out the live cd while you're still using it, or do you restart and remove the cd while the bios is loading or something?

you shutdown the same way you would with windows. you log out and select shutdown or reboot. linux will go thru its shutdown routine and then eject your cd rom disc or prompt you to remove it. do not remove the disc while it's running unless you are prompted to do so. with some distros (puppy) it is safe to remove the disc because it is entirely loaded into ram. also some distros may not eject or prompt you to remove the disc. it will simply shutdown. you will have to open your cd rom as soon as you restart and remove the disc to allow windows to boot or you will start booting back into the distro.

hth

There are several flavors of Live Linux.

hey acklan, there are hundreds of different flavors of live cd's, loooool. :inlove: but you knew that right? looool :thumbsup:
i think i have just about all of them, :flowers: i even have japanese and spanish and polish versions. :trumpet: try using one of those if you know the language or even if you don't know the language. :woot: they're interesting. i'm about to boot up the new berry release to have a look around. the english flavor that is, me no speak japanese. loooooool.

Posted Image

Edited by cybormoron, 26 June 2006 - 05:32 PM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:08 AM

I know.. :thumbsup:
Did you know Digital Dolly's core is Red Hat?

#8 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:18 PM

Did you know Digital Dolly's core is Red Hat?

never heard of dd acklan, but it's been added to my todo list. and that is a long list, loooooool. looks like it's one of those must have applications.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:07 PM

Digital Dolly (Hard drive utility)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users