Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Boost

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

Does anyone have knowledge of the Power Boost feature of recent Windows operating systems ---- involving using a USB Memory Stick or Card to supplement the computer's memory(RAM) thus speeding up processing.  My W8.1 Tablet has an as yet unused 15 GB Memory Card which I would like to try for this purpose.  However, the feature is absent (from Properties). I understand this can mean that the computer is not suitable  -- but not necessarily so.  I have tried to read the fairly plentiful info on the web about it but am left somewhat confused and uncertain whether or not it can be activated on my system or not.

Can anyone advise on this, please?

clayto 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

involving using a USB Memory Stick or Card to supplement the computer's memory(RAM) thus speeding up processing.

IMO

If you need more ram get more ram, USB sticks and SD Cards do not have the same read write speeds as Ram SSD and HDD. Using USB or SSD you may find your PC slows down a bit if it is forced to write to them.

Its why I have my swap partition on SSD.

Edited by NickAu, 03 February 2015 - 02:42 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:42 PM

We oldsters used to load up config.sys with drivers w/settings to create and use a ram-drive [even had a drive letter assigned to it] that would load up certain programs and/or data files into that allocated portion of memory -- ran much faster until ram-drive dismounted.  Power boosting will probably work as long as the device used remains always online, with room to spare.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

NickAu is correct, we were posting at same time; 'tis better to get more memory and "more hard-drive."

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for the  comments.   I dont know how practical 'more memory' is for my recently acquired Tablet, although I have reason to believe the tiny thing has two free slots..  It runs fast enough now but I am thinking of the future and had heard using a USB Card (it has 15 GB) might be simpler / cheaper.  But I know there is some uncertainty about whether Power Boost really works (much).  Years ago I installed new RAM from Crucial into my XP and that made a real difference.  Using the SD Card was just a passing thought ---- I am now starting to use it usefully for storage for files en route to the Cloud (which I am just learning about).

Clayto

#6 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for the  comments.   I dont know how practical 'more memory' is for my recently acquired Tablet, although I have reason to believe the tiny thing has two free slots..  It runs fast enough now but I am thinking of the future and had heard using a USB Card (it has 15 GB) might be simpler / cheaper.  But I know there is some uncertainty about whether Power Boost really works (much).  Years ago I installed new RAM from Crucial into my XP and that made a real difference.  Using the SD Card was just a passing thought ---- I am now starting to use it usefully for storage for files en route to the Cloud (which I am just learning about).

Clayto

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:59 AM

I dont know how multiple copies of my posting were created, I only clicked once.  Any way, I am very sorry it happened.

Clayto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users