Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active X

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bill L

Bill L

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

Hello all and Thanks in advance for any help I can get. Not so good with computer stuff so came here looking for help. Seems when I enter a number of web pages I get a pop-up saying "Click to run an ActiveX Control on this webpage" Now it used pop-up every once in awhile on certain webpages but recently I noticed it pops up more and more often. It now even pops up on my home page. Any advice...help how to avoid getting all these pop ups? On some pages I get 6-10 of these before the page can load.

Thanks again
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

This is probably related to the last Windows updates. I don't use IE so I haven't experienced that. Could you give an address for one of the sites that asks for the Active X and I will see what I can come up with. Do you use any security program that blocks bad active X addresses? Such as Spyware Blaster?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

Some pages use Active X and you have to download and install the Active X applets to use the features on those pages.

You may have recently changed your security or Active X settings in IE from "allow" to "prompt" which may have be responsible for the increase in requests.

#4 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

I dont remember changing anything but I do have 2 kids that are on the computer so I can say for sure it WASNT changed. Here is one of the sites I get the pop up on........... http://www.ny1.com/index.jsp How can I check to see if I have it set to prompt instead of accept?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

I had no problem playing the videos on Firefox with realplayer. When I switched to IE I couldn't get the videos to play. Since Firefox doesn't allow active X I have no idea why active X is required for that site. It may be advertising. You didn't answer my other question about if you used any programs that block bad ActiveX sites.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:10 PM

I dont use anything that I know of. I used Spybot and AdAware to clean out stuff and I use AVG for anti-virus

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

To access the Active X settings
click tools, then internet options,

then click the security tab

click the "custom level" button

scroll down to the Active X settings.

Basically, allow the enable signed active X controls abd disallow unsigned ones.

Setting security level to "Medium" should accomplish this.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:29 PM

I just tried again to view the videos on that site with IE and had no luck. I could hear popups being blocked I believe. That could be what the active X is being requested for. After allowing the Active X were you able to view the videos and did you get popup ads? Spyware blaster blocks thousands of bad active X programs and will work well with the programs you now use. If you want to see what Active X programs you have installed you can view them in Spybot. Advanced mode/ tools/active X. I do know that Windows now has to ask you to load Active X and it is no longer automatic. Strange though that I wasn't asked when I went to that site.

#9 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

Thanks all for the quick responses. I did as told but still have the same problem. Guess I need to have someone look @ it.

#10 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:01 AM

It might be the Microsoft Update.
See this post---

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55414/windows-update/

If it is a security setting-
Try these settings in the picture--

http://i4.tinypic.com/15mg26p.jpg

Edited by medab1, 25 June 2006 - 12:11 AM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users