Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Thunderbird, lost emails and addresses??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fishrman

fishrman

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Worm or malware caused me to have to change my user profile in Windows 7. I have everything back looking more or less like it did before this disaster and I am once again able to get into Internet Explorer but when I go to my Mozilla Thunderbird email, it is as if I have used it before and I had to put my user name and password in again to get the program running but it does not show any of my old emails or addresses. Can someone walk me through how to copy those over or into my newly setup Thunderbird? Staples told me the could do it for me for 39.95 but I think I could do with help. Maybe lots of help. I have read over the Mozilla Thunderbird help on how to create a new profile and copy the old one over it but I am starting to think my brain is not working right as I haven't got it done yet! Some things are just hard for me to understand. Please be patient with me. Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:30 PM

I'm not at home, so you get short version for now:

user appdata local thunderbird

user appdata roaming thunderbird

-- those are the "storage bins" for everything you've configured, set up, received, sent, etc. via thunderbird

While not having tbird active, you can copy both directories, local to local, roaming to roaming, then fire up tbird again.

I've done this for years [for tbird, emC, FF, GC & IE], so if more help's needed, I'll watch this thread  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

I'm not at home, so you get short version for now:

user appdata local thunderbird

user appdata roaming thunderbird

-- those are the "storage bins" for everything you've configured, set up, received, sent, etc. via thunderbird

While not having tbird active, you can copy both directories, local to local, roaming to roaming, then fire up tbird again.

I've done this for years [for tbird, emC, FF, GC & IE], so if more help's needed, I'll watch this thread   :)

OK, I am new to this copying directories etc. thing. Can you give me a step by step method so I can connect the dots?? Sorry, I know enough to get myself in trouble!

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

How familiar and how comfortable are you with Explorer operations?  Have you tree-climbed through various directories?  What has been your past experience with Explorer?  I don't want to "talk down to" you nor do I want to "talk over your head."  That would not be nice or helpful of me to do that.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 February 2015 - 02:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

How familiar and how comfortable are you with Explorer operations?  Have you tree-climbed through various directories?  What has been your past experience with Explorer?  I don't want to "talk down to" you nor do I want to "talk over your head."  That would not be nice or helpful of me to do that.

I like the way you think! Never worry about talking down to me! I like instructions like "Go to the start button and type in CMD" or whatever, a step by step thing works for me. I can tell you though I have found my old profile and my new one by going to the C: drive then Users and in clicking on John that is listed as one profile and John-John that is listed as my new profile, have found Appdata and then Roaming and then Thunderbird and finally Profiles and then a file called wmekpsyz.default. The new profile is 1sq2krng.default. Soo, I can get to there and I think I am suppose to delete the new profile and copy my new profile to place it where the old profile was but I want to make sure I do that correctly and if you can tell me specifically how to do that, I would be indebted to you! Thanks, hope all that made sense.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

Ok, I logged on very very late, can't see the screen very well in this light.  Lemmie create a StepByStep text file and copyNpaste into a post.  See you at the latest when I get off work Friday afternoon.  The last two days, I had no access to computer because of going room to room.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 February 2015 - 12:34 AM.

#7 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

It's all good again. I got so frustrated trying to get it done that I took it to a Staples tech and he completely uninstalled the Thunderbird program and reinstalled with a new one and then copied the old Profile into the new one. All is good. Thanks for trying to help though!

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:01 AM

Fishrman!  Glad you got it resolved!  I hope Staples tech gave you a short list of how he copied profileX into profileY concerning Thunderbird.  I was away too much of the time recently to be of much help to you.

#9 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

Fishrman!  Glad you got it resolved!  I hope Staples tech gave you a short list of how he copied profileX into profileY concerning Thunderbird.  I was away too much of the time recently to be of much help to you.

Ya, I wish he had of! Still not exactly sure how he did it and I watched him do it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users