Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPC$ Password

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

Greetings,

Ok, so I have a Windows 98 machine that is trying to talk to a Windows Server 2012 machine.

The user on the 98 machine is CRAIG & A user on the Windows Sever 2012 is CRAIG

The passwords are identical.

Whenever I try to view the shared folders on the Windows Server 2012 machine from the Windows 98 machine, I get the IPC$ password request.

No passwords I have on the systems work.

Now, this is a very common tale and "enabling the guest account" is suppose to work but I believe it use to work (it's not a very common thing for me to navigate the server through the 98 machine). I had a boot problem after a partition resize and had to fix it with SYS C: from a boot disk. I don't want to say that this command caused this but it is something I did and as a troubleshooter, I like to get ALL information I can as to reduce the symptoms to causes.

If relevant, The story on that partition resize is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564765/98-partition-re-size-invalid-disk-error/

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

Tutorial...http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-9598me/wxpwin9x.html The main issues is getting the user name/password the same. Getting the 'Client for Microsoft Networking' installed and the NetBEUI protocol installed. Also, be sure the Workgroup is the same. If one machine is WORKGROUP and the other is MSHOME they will not communicate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users