Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driverfight snuck onto laptop preventing startup.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ReneeIII

ReneeIII

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

I download a program I thought was for viewing tv on my laptop with os windows 7. I ended up with programs I did not install. I thought I uninstalled them all. I restarted the laptop. Now driverfighter pops up. I suggest I update drivers. I click ignore them. Then I click it off. The screen stays black. Been 15 minutes still the screen is black blank.

Started in safemode with no problems. I don't know what to do in safemode. Used it to shut down

Tried restarting to last good configuration. Driverfight pop up again with it not connected to the internet.  It was unable to scan the PC. Clicked it off and then the screen went black blank.

What do I do now? Fortunately I have a desktop PC.

Edited by ReneeIII, 03 February 2015 - 01:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

In safe mode type 'msconfig' (without ') and in the box select Startup, look for driverfighter and uncheck the box. Then reboot normally.

#3 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

In safe mode type 'msconfig' (without ') and in the box select Startup, look for driverfighter and uncheck the box. Then reboot normally.

Should I use safe mode with command prompt or just safe mode?

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Regular safe mode.

#5 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

I forgot all about msconfig. I see techs on PC with a service use it. I have been using cccleaner to clean startup.

Driverfighter still popped up. Ethernet connection is not on so it didn't do anything. After I closed it the screen went black. Hopping that it will start normal in a few minutes. Well 6 mins have passed and no changes. Thus starting in safe mode again to see if I can remove it.

Running SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode found 2 unwanted programs. Removed them.

Edited by ReneeIII, 03 February 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

I would never use Ccleaner. That's like throwing a grenade into your registry.

#7 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

I would never use Ccleaner. That's like throwing a grenade into your registry.

Yeh I have had some problems using to clean the register. Thus just use it to check the start up.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

You may need to do a system restore if you can get back to a normal boot. I would turn off all startup programs in msconfig and start eliminating suspects.

#9 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

You may need to do a system restore if you can get back to a normal boot. I would turn off all startup programs in msconfig and start eliminating suspects.

Yeh I turned all but AVG virus off.

Waited for 5 mins after running spyware and nothing different.

I ruined My desktop with windows os doing retores. Thus been relunctant to do a restore. Seems it is a must. So started it. Had to do it in safemode.

Edited by ReneeIII, 03 February 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

Sounds to me like DF might have forced in a driver that is buggy or incompatible.

Can you not get to Startup Repair?

If you can, select Additional tools option, open command prompt, and do a system file scan (sfc /scannow)

#11 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

In the beginning tried startup repair but it required a password so I couldn't do it. Didn't see the option before going into safe mode the last time.

Before doing the resore got message to save a password. There was no password. Made a password.

The restore worked. Thanks Netghost! I didn't think it would for the restore point was for today. It showed though that DF would be removed.

Not very clear as to where I an to do sfc /scannow?

Is there a command to check the register?

Checked the programs and don't see any unwanted programs. Think I run superantispyware again.

Edited by ReneeIII, 03 February 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

No need to do the sfc /scannow now at this point, but if you want you can open a command prompt from your desktop and run it. Just search cmd.exe and select it in the results.

I'd recommend downloading and running Adwcleaner from this site.

#13 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

No need to do the sfc /scannow now at this point, but if you want you can open a command prompt from your desktop and run it. Just search cmd.exe and select it in the results.

I'd recommend downloading and running Adwcleaner from this site.

Now it takes a minute for the laptop with windows 7 os to startup.

My desktop has ubuntu 14.04 os., thus can't do that command. Did on my laptop with windows 7 os.

I had downloaded an Adwarecleaner program from here in the past when I had an unwanted vosteran program. It didn't help. Running it though just in case it can help. Eset security worked. It is not free though and not obsoletely necessary. Well Adwarecleaner found a remnant of vosteran search program.

Windows os seems to at times let viruses in. Been told it because of unseen attachements. I have gotten trojen viruses just from copying pictures for avatars. It is just because viewing some tv shows requires windows I keep it on my laptop. on desktop I will keep ubuntu.

Edited by ReneeIII, 03 February 2015 - 04:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users