Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 shuts down and immediately restarts

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 paw51

paw51

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

Yesterday morning I discovered my laptop (Toshiba Satellite C55-B5201) had not shut down after I instructed it to.  I assumed I had not remembered to shut it down, but this morning I opened the lid to find that the computer was not shut down.  I shut down the computer again and it restarted within 30 seconds.  This is my new reality.  My laptop will not stay shut down.

I looked up the problem and tried a couple of solutions through the power options screen but since I am not a computer expert I declined to try the solution involving misconfig which I found, without talking to some experts.

For security I use Panda Security Pro and Win Patrol.  A few weeks ago I also noticed my battery indicator, when laptop is plugged in, shows 80% available battery power and not charging.  This also is different, but I thought, perhaps my battery was starting to wear out, even though at its age this should not be a problem.  My power setting is on "balanced" at the default settings.

Any help is welcome.  Thank you.

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

Hi paw51 :)

Try to do the following:
  • Right-click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select System;
  • From there, click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane of the System window;
  • Click on the 3rd Settings... button, the one under Startup and Recovery;
  • From there, make sure that Automatically Restart is unchecked under System Failure;
Restart your computer and let me know if the issue is still there.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 paw51

paw51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I tried what you suggested but it did not change anything.  Restart still occurred.

#4 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

Ok, I am going to ask this even though I'm sure you are doing this.  Are you choosing Shutdown in the menu when you want to power down the laptop or simply closing the lid?

You might have the power settings set to Sleep / hibernate mode in the control panel - Power - Decide what to do when you close the lid.

Watch what happens when you shut down the laptop.  Does it automatically restart or power on by itself even after you choose to shutdown?

Right click on My Computer, choose Manage, click Event Logs, look in System & Application logs for critical events around the times you are shutting down.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

Logically, you want the laptop to enter in an hibernate mode when you close the lid, since it means that you might have to put it away for a while and it might as well fall in this mode to save its battery. Sleep Mode should be enabled after a defined time of inactivity, which when going over a certain time could make the system go into hibernation. Also, dinodod is on the right track, it seems like when you shut down your system, its being called as a "reboot" instead of a shutdown, which means that a certain program could be causing this.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 paw51

paw51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

I have the cover close setting to sleep.  When I shut down I click on the windows button and select shut down from the options which show up on the Start Screen.  don't shut the cover until the shut down is complete.  After shut down completes it powers up again before I can close the cover.

Where do I find "My Computer".  Sorry.  Windows 8 confuses me.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

Paw, are you using Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? I would like a confirmation on this.

unite_blue.png

#8 paw51

paw51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

I am using 8.1.  I have to get some groceries in and pick up some Rx then go to a friend for dinner.  I will check your responses tomorrow.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Alright I just wanted to make sure of it since you mentionned Windows 8.1 in the thread title, then mentionned Windows 8 :) In this section using Windows 8 or 8.1 makes a bit of difference, since if you're using Windows 8, we'll ask you to upgrade to Windows 8.1 as soon as you can before going on with the troubleshooting. And alright, tomorrow if you can follow dinodod instructions it would be good.

unite_blue.png

#10 paw51

paw51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

I found the logs dinodod was talking about, but could not remember times when I tried to shut down, so I will mark the time tonight.  That way I can check tomorrow as soon as I am on the computer.  I will let you know if anything shows up.

#11 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

Mmmm.. You choose to shutdown the PC and it restarts before you close the lid....

Download this program:  http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed.  It will analyze your system for any crashdump files caused by a BSOD.  Let us know the results.

Lots of articles on this issue which pretty much same the same thing in regards to it most likely being a BSOD issue.  Hopefully just a driver issue that you need to update.  If so, then your drivers are here: http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200008395

#12 paw51

paw51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

Late last night an update to the Toshiba bios became available and I installed it.  Since then I have not had any further problems.  I also changed some settings on my power options so that closing the lid and pressing the power button causes shut down when on battery power and when plugged in.  When plugged in the power button will go to shut down and closing the lid will go to hibernate.

I have done a normal shut down twice today with no problems.  Maybe it was something in the BIOS?????

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:35 PM

It could have been a bad BIOS version and the update for it had a fix for that issue. I've seen a lot of issues being fixed by a BIOS update. Even at my job I have to update the BIOS of a specific laptop model if I want it to work properly, so it doesn't surprise me. Glad that the issue is solved :)

unite_blue.png

#14 paw51

paw51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

Thank you. :thumbup2:

#15 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

Nice :)  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users