Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Monitoring] How can I monitor the bandwidth usage on my network?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hey guys,

So I might be changing ISP soon, but before I do that, I would like to know how much bandwidth I use monthly with my current ISP and speeds that I have. Right now, I'm on an unlimited bandwidth plan so I never really bothered checking or worrying about my usage. I know that I could do that easily use NetWorx, but I would have to install it on my three computers: two laptops and one desktop, and it would leave out my cellphone and my brother's cellphone (and when he uses it, he's always on Youtube or watching videos so I want to include his usage). Is there any software I could use to see how much bandwidth I'm using on my network? If it matters, I have a LinkSys E1200 Router, and it might have that feature included, I wouldn't know. And it's hooked on a TP-Link TD-W8901G modem-router.

Thank you.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

You check your current ISP's web page? They might have that information.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

I checked but I think we have to call them and ask for that kind of information. And I don't want to let them hint that we might be changing ISP by asking for that information.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

who is your ISP? That information should be available to you on their support site. Ummm they aren't your employer that would can you because you're looking else where for a job. As a matter of fact if they know you are looking around for better service they might give you a better deal. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:07 PM

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest -- online utility that can give you snapshots of how your bandwidth is doing.  If you test several times a week, you can get a pretty good of your download/upload speeds.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

A number of routers have bandwidth limiting/monitoring built into them.  Make and model of your router?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll check them out. And Wand3r3r, my router is LinkSys E1200.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

A number of routers have bandwidth limiting/monitoring built into them.  Make and model of your router?

netgear 7550, where would i find these features in that long long html menu?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

Looks like my ISP offers a way to see my bandwidth usage, however they bring me to an external login on another ISP website, and not the one they are redistributing from. I'm using VIF Internet, which is apparently a redistributor of Bell, but they redirect me to Videotron. Then it asks me for a username in a format I don't have. I guess I don't have the choice but to call them.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:14 PM

wow....that's a little shady. I'd give them a call just to get an answer on what their web site URL is lol.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

That's what I intend to do. They offer other tools that I can use to access various information on my account but the login credentials I'm supposed to have don't work. Urg, so much pain for a single thing.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

That's what I intend to do. They offer other tools that I can use to access various information on my account but the login credentials I'm supposed to have don't work. Urg, so much pain for a single thing.

Aura, please let me know if http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest -- online utility was EZ to use and if you get good feedback, thanks!

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Roland, which test exactly do you want me to take on the website you linked me?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

Roland, which test exactly do you want me to take on the website you linked me?

Sorry!  Gave you the wrong quick-test link!  It is:  http://www.speedtest.net/

DSLreports site gives a variety of things; I meant to give you http://www.speedtest.net/

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

This isn't the kind of test I'm looking for Roland. I'm looking for one that will give me my bandwidth usage (download/upload numbers), not the bandwidth speed/connection.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users