Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display settings change on its own

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zertz07

zertz07

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and lately, after my laptop has been idle for a while, I wake it up and the display setting has changed and I have to reset it.  This is getting tiresome.  Windows Update is all up to date.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:24 AM

Try updating your video drivers. If you are unsure what video card you have, you can go to Computer, right click on it, go to manage, click on device manager, expand display adapters, and your video card will be listed there. If it just says vga device or something along those lines, you can go to the support site for your laptop maker, search based on the model or service tag for your laptop, and download the most recent drivers there.

#3 zertz07

zertz07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thank you - I believe this did the trick!

#4 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

No problem, glad to help.

#5 zertz07

zertz07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

It did not fix the problem after all.  I have a HP G62 320CA Notebook PC and the screen resolution continues to change randomly to:

Display: 1|2. Multiple Monitors

Resolution: 1024x768

Multiple Displays: Duplicate these displays

(It says my driver and software is up to date.) 

I sent a note to HP Support quite a couple of weeks but they have not responded. :/   

#6 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

I'm actually researching this issue atm concerning a couple of people who have multiple monitors using windows 7, and it resetting the display every reboot. Seems to be common, will replay back when I have a fix.

#7 zertz07

zertz07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:12 AM

Thanks

#8 reast82

reast82

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

Display: 1|2. Multiple Monitors

Resolution: 1024x768

Multiple Displays: Duplicate these displays

I'm assuming you have an external monitor plugged in as well. I had some strange behavior with my alppy and external monitor not coming to life after waking the laptop. The fix?

Updated / reinstalkle dthe chipset driver and made sure BIOS up to date

#9 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

There are also some windows registry values that can be removed to get it to stop reverting to the old settings, I have not tested the information I have yet, but as soon as I do and am 100% certain that this will not cause an issue booting back into windows I will post this data. There are two client machines having this issue, they are both desktop machines using 3 monitors, fully updated drivers, yet the settings keep reverting. As stated, as soon as I'm sure this fix won't cause any issues and will solve the resolution/settings reverting after reboot I will post the details on fixing the issue.

#10 zertz07

zertz07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

Btw, I have a desktop computer and my laptop - this issue just started a couple of months ago - there wasn't a problem before.  The desktop is working just fine.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users