Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTML taking over as primary language for Web/TV/Apps/Media/etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:59 AM

Hi there I was curious if anyone knew any information about HTML and its seemingly high effort to be supplanted into many different "programming" fields, most recently as Apps, TV, along with its intended Web purpose.

Now that video and graphics and all sorts of other excellent advancements are being made in html5 and beyond does it seem that html will gain much currency as a preferable language to use vs an otherwise typical language for, Say,HTML programs to do finances or something of that nature. Is there Any merit there?

Reason I ask is because I am familiar with both Java and HTML and I seem to prefer it because I know how to use HTML better but i realize at this time there are things Java can do that HTML cannot, do we HTML will ever be spec'd out to handle those types of tasks?

Edited by drwmbt, 03 February 2015 - 11:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:47 PM

HTML is a markup language, meaning it is used to define how text, images and such are formatted and laid out on a screen.

Java is a programming language, meaning it is used to have the computer perform tasks. 

HTML is not dynamic, you send the browser an HTML document and it will simply display the contents (with any styles/images you have). Programming languages will always be needed to process and render the HTML markup you've written. However, with things like Firefox OS and PhoneGap, people are able to write mobile apps with HTML and JavaScript, the latter of which is a programming language. 

I suppose you're referring mainly to the HTML5 Canvas tag, which is used to create complex interfaces without things like Flash or Java. This is manipulated by JavaScript, and would be useless if you only had HTML.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users