Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Graphic Card issue.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gongdo

Gongdo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

Hi everyone. 

I have been having hardware issues. Now I don't know where the issue is arising exactly that is why I am reverting to you all. 

Recently, I have started gaming on my laptop. The specs are below. If you need and more info that could be helpful let me know. 

My issue is that there are some games that run great on low specs and others terribly. I feel that my second GPU is not kicking in when it is supposed to. Or if it is there might be another issue. 

I play World of Warcraft without any issues on medium setting (All blizzard games for that matter). On Steam, I play Insurgency on medium to low graphics at around 50FPS and also Dying Light on low. 

Now my issue is not gaming as per say. My issue is that i do not understand how Portal 2 and Borderlands 2 does is unplayable compared to the other games that are resource hogs ( can are playable with my config). 

Please help me figure out if there is an issue or is my laptop just not sufficient for gaming (not harcore but casually). 

If there are any tests that i can run or and programs that can analyse my rigs performance please let me know too. 

Thanks to all of you out there that will take the time to look into this request. 

Kind regards, 

Gongdo. 

Laptop specs: 

Operating System   Name Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)   Build Number 9600   DirectX Version 11   Windows Directory c:\windows   System Directory c:\windows\system32   Maximum OS Memory 192.00 GB Processors Intel® Core™ i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz (CPU:0)   Name Intel® Core™ i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz   Cores 2   Threads 4   Signature 40651h   Family 6h   Model 45h   Technology 22 nm   Temperature 58 C   Performance Memory System Memory   Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB   Maximum Supported Memory 16.00 GB

Hard Drives ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB   Vendor Seagate   Model Number ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB   Serial Number S314J90DB80593   Firmware Revision 2BA30001   Size 931.5 GB   Marketed Size 1 TB   Cache Size 16 MB

Video Video Card - Intel® HD Graphics Family   Vendor Name Intel Corporation   Interface PCI   Video Card Chip Type Intel® HD Graphics Family   Video Card Memory 2.06 GB   Video Card BIOS Intel Video BIOS   Driver Provider Intel Corporation   Driver Version 10.18.10.3316, 10-3-2013 Video Card - AMD Radeon HD 8850M   Vendor Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]   Video Card Memory 2.00 GB   Fan Speed 20%   Driver Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.   Driver Version 13.151.0.0, 8-19-2013

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

Are you using both an Intel card and an AMD card at once? 

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#3 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:02 PM

Are you using both an Intel card and an AMD card at once? 

Well both as both are installed there would be some kind of GPU management between the two depending on the activities taking place. 

I edit video and photo along with other work. With no problem at all. As for the gaming, well come games play great and some don't. 

Obviously some games are more demanding than others but the games that do work seem do be more resource heavy than the ones that don't. 

Just been told that my current radeon card is known to be unstable? 

No idea where to go from here. 

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

okay..just so you know thats not really a dual gpu setup.  You can have one card that does one thing but the two don't really talk to each other like in SLI configurations.

The AMD connector should do much better than the intel one of course some laptops will revert back to the intel graphics if its not plugged into power which may be your problem.

#5 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:46 AM

okay..just so you know thats not really a dual gpu setup.  You can have one card that does one thing but the two don't really talk to each other like in SLI configurations.

The AMD connector should do much better than the intel one of course some laptops will revert back to the intel graphics if its not plugged into power which may be your problem.

Thanks YeahBleeping. 

I didn't know how else to title this problem. Indeed it's not a dual graphics card issue as it is not in a SLI config. 

Well I only game when it's plugged in. other wise im always on the move and using it for work. So that eliminates the 'power source unplugged' issue.

Thanks anyway. 

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:02 AM

Well i don't know about portal 2 but Borderlands 2 is sponsored by Nvidia and their gameworks wich could explain why your AMD card struggles with it

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

Well I seem to understand the problem now. 

A3NQWvf.png

1. Now I have tried to automatically update the driver, obviously it failed.  

2. It is not even detected anymore (hdmi no output to external monitor) 

Anyone have any alternative solutions that i could try?

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Go to devie manager and see if the card even shows up, if it does uninstall it reboot and isntall drivers 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users