Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Avg 7.1.394 Freeware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Juanaquena

Juanaquena

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

This may have been discussed earlier, but I can't locate a thread in the past several months which covers
the topic.

I am trying to install AVG freeware on an elderly friend's computer. She uses Windows ME, seems to have
more than enough available memory, and has no other antivirus software installed on her computer.

The software seems to download alright, but when I click the Install button, I get a window telling me the
install is not possible. The info on the Grisoft web pages says AVG freeware can be used with Windows ME.

I successfully downloaded and installed Ad-aware, so installing a downloaded program IS possible on her computer.

What am I missing doing?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

I get a window telling me the install is not possible.

What is the exact error message?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Juanaquena

Juanaquena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:29 PM

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. I haven't been back to my elderly friend's home yet. I will probably be there next week. I'll download the AVG free software again, try installing it, and then write down the exact wording of message that appears on the pop-up window when the software can't be installed. I believe she uses an older version of Netscape, if that may be a factor in the inability to download AVG. She has more than enough memory on her computer. One other thought I had is that perhaps the downloaded AVG freeware is a zipped file and needs unzipping. I will be bringing my CD ROM of Aladdin Expander the next time I visit her, so I can try unzipping the software in able to install it. Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

I ran AVG on ME, so that is not the problem. You might try download AVG yourself, and then save the file to disk; this would avoid any potential browser issues if you installed it on your friend's computer from there.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Juanaquena

Juanaquena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

Thank you, John. I did as you suggested and had no problem installing AVG freeware on my elderly friend's computer.

Juanaquena

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users