Hello, harkcomp! Let's start with some important instructions:
- Avoid installing or uninstalling programs during the malware removal process, which may complicate malware removal efforts
- Do NOT run tools such as Combofix unless instructed by a BleepingComputer staff member. These tools can break your computer if used improperly.
- If you want to, you should back up all important documents and files to an external storage device or online file backup service.
Step 1: Please download MiniToolBox by Farbar, and save it to your desktop.
Run the program. Please select the following options:
- Flush DNS
- Report IE proxy settings
- Reset IE proxy settings
- Report FF proxy settings
- Reset FF proxy settings
- List content of Hosts
- List installed programs
After the program finishes its job, it will create a log file called "Result.txt" on your desktop. Post the contents of that file in your next reply.
Step 2: Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode, and save it to your desktop.
- Click on the "scan" button.
- The tool will scan your computer for adware; this may take a few minutes.
- After the scan has finished, click on the "Report" button. A logfile, AdwCleaner[R0].txt, will show.
- After viewing the log, close the log file window. View the list of adware detections, and uncheck ones that you do not want to remove(i.e. the ones which you're sure to be benign).
- Press the "Clean" button. You will be requested to restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, a log file called AdwCleaner[S0].txt will show. Post the contents of that log file in your next reply.
- Reply with information on whether or not the popups are gone.
Step 3: Run ESET online scanner
- Using Internet Explorer, navigate to http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner-popup/ (If you used another web browser, such as Firefox, you will have to download an installer file)
- Accept any security warnings which may appear.
- Click on the advanced settings part, and select "Scan for potentially unsafe applications","remove found threats", and "Scan archives".
- Check "scan for potentially unwanted applications".
- Click "start".
- Eset will download updates and scan your computer; this may take a few minutes to a few hours.
- When the scan completes, click "list threats".
- Click "Export", and save the log file to your desktop.
- Post the contents of the log file to your next forum post. Please note that if ESET does not detect anything, it may not necessarily generate a log file.