Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home page confusion (Internet Explorer)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fishrman

fishrman

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:16 PM

I very recently had a malware or problem that created lots of popup adds. I ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware to no avail. Decided I would do a system restore and then couldn't get back in as my user profile was corrupted. Had to go in and set up a new profile. I should have said this is in WIndows 7.

I really don't know if this is a problem or not but when I go to Tools-Internet Options-General I see the following for the home page:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141

This just doesn't look right to me but everytime I try to change it, it pops back up again. Can I change this? Should I change it ? Not sure what is going on.

Thanks for the help. If I get this resolved, I will have a question on how to get my email addresses and old emails back in my Mozilla Thunderbird!

Thanks again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

Hello there,

I think that's the default home page for Internet Explorer - my fresh Windows 7 installations also have that as homepage.

As for why you can't change it, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:02 AM

On my Windows 7 in VM I get the same page In IE. Its default home page.

143-workspace-1_007.png

Edited by NickAu, 03 February 2015 - 02:06 AM.

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

If you still have SUPERAntiSpyware on your computer, make sure it's not set to prevent any changes to the home page.

dlEriKz.png

Edited by Phantom010, 03 February 2015 - 08:52 AM.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

If the webpage is from a Microsoft website, I wouldn't worry about it since after all, it would makes sense that they use one of their site as homepage in their web browser. The one you have right now is the default home webpage for Internet Explorer. It changes from times to times, depending on how Microsoft changes their website but this is the current one at the moment. If you had another webpage being set as default and that isn't known, then I would worry but its obviously not the case here.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

If you still have SUPERAntiSpyware on your computer, make sure it's not set to prevent any changes to the home page.

dlEriKz.png

Make sure it is set to prevent changes or NOT prevent changes? I know you said make sure it's not set to prevent any changes to the home page but just wanted to make sure that is how it should be. I have never checked that before.  I checked and the "Protect home page from being changed, is not checked! Yours appears to say about:blank, wonder if I should even change mine now that others are saying theirs says the same thing as mine??

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

The about:blank webpage is a default file from Microsoft Windows, which displays a plain blank page with nothing on it. The goal of this page is to open a tab or web browser on it's home page without having to load any webpage or additional content. This is the reason I use it for, and also because I don't want to open a website I don't look at everytime I open Internet Explorer or a new tab in it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

Remove the check mark from "Protect home page from being changed".

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#9 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

If you have the latest version of SAS, uncheck the "Enable Home Page Protection" box.

Xrvgg4D.png

The about:blank webpage is a default file from Microsoft Windows, which displays a plain blank page with nothing on it. The goal of this page is to open a tab or web browser on it's home page without having to load any webpage or additional content. This is the reason I use it for, and also because I don't want to open a website I don't look at everytime I open Internet Explorer or a new tab in it.

It's showing about:blank 'cause that's MY home page.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

I know it is Phantom, I was just explaining to him what was that webpage and what was its purpose.

unite_blue.png

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:18 PM

I know it is Phantom, I was just explaining to him what was that webpage and what was its purpose.

No problem. :)

#12 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

Make sure it is set to prevent changes or NOT prevent changes? I know you said make sure it's not set to prevent any changes to the home page but just wanted to make sure that is how it should be. I have never checked that before.  I checked and the "Protect home page from being changed, is not checked! Yours appears to say about:blank, wonder if I should even change mine now that others are saying theirs says the same thing as mine??

You can change your home page to whatever you want. You don't need MSN. I prefer about:blank 'cause there's no home page at all. The browser opens much faster and I don't need any home page.

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box. Copy/Paste the following command:

regedit /e C:\Look.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"

Press Enter.

You won't notice anything. However, it will have created a report on your C drive named Look. Copy/paste that file into your next reply.

#14 fishrman

fishrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

Well, I must be doing something wrong. The only thing I see is a magnifier that came up after

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box. Copy/Paste the following command:

regedit /e C:\Look.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"
Press Enter.

You won't notice anything. However, it will have created a report on your C drive named Look. Copy/paste that file into your next reply.

Well, must be doing something wrong. I am not finding LOOK anywhere. after doing this.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

Can you try opening an elevated command prompt and enter the following command in it?

regedit /e %userprofile%\Desktop\Look.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"

The file will be created on your desktop and it'll be called Look.reg. To open an elevated command prompt, right-click on the command prompt and select Run as Administrator.

Edited by Aura., 03 February 2015 - 07:50 PM.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users