Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Privacy Policy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rosenberg

Rosenberg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

Hi there,

I was reading the Windows 10 forum, and saw a REALLY important post by Casey_boy.

I searched this forum for something similar, and couldn't find anything, so here goes:

I read the EULA and Privacy Policy for Windows 8 word for word (deadly dull reading) and discovered that Microsoft can and does have access to all of your documents, pictures, etc. on your hard drive.

That little piece of information scared me so much that I returned the computer and operating system to the store for a refund.

If you care at all about your privacy, it is really important now-a-days to read those (deadly dull) EULAs and Privacy Policies. They are extremely long and complex, to the extent that I wondered if I should hire a lawyer to go over it for me...really important to know what you're signing and agreeing to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Hi Rosenberg :)

I think you may have misread the EULA and Privacy Policy of Microsoft Windows, I guess this applies only in some extreme case, maybe for troubleshooting or such. Is it possible for you to copy and paste here to accept part of EULA/Privacy Policy that you read and that mentionned that?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Rosenberg

Rosenberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

Hi Aura,

Well, anything's possible...but I don't think that I misread it. I read it and contacted Microsoft and they confirmed it. I can't copy & paste the part of the EULA/Privacy Policy, because I returned it to the store.

But I can quote the response to my inquiry from Microsoft:

From: Microsoft Customer Support [mailto:CNTUS.PRIV.WW.00.EN.CVG.CEB.CS.1FL.CUS.00.WB@css.one.microsoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:13 PM
To: Rosenberg
Subject: RE: SRX1260323047ID - Microsoft Online Customer Service

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. At Microsoft, your privacy is our priority and we appreciate you voicing this concern.

As described in our Windows Services Privacy Statement, Microsoft collects many kinds of information in order to operate effectively and provide you the best products, services, and experiences we can. We may access, disclose, and preserve your personal information including your private content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal requests; protect our customers; operate and maintain the security of our services; and protect the rights and property of Microsoft.

Microsoft provides many of our sites and services free of charge because they are supported by advertising revenue. The information we collect may be used to help make the advertisements you see more relevant to you. But we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail to target advertising to you. We do not use your documents, photos or other personal files to target advertising to you. Please note that you may opt out of receiving targeted ads from Microsoft Advertising by visiting our opt-out page.

For information regarding our terms of use, please visit the Microsoft Services Agreement.

I hope the information above is helpful. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns and we will be happy to assist.

Kind regards,
Microsoft Privacy

I think that it's important to note that there are no safeguards here; they decide, without due process to access your private documents.  If the law wanted to search your home, they would need "probable cause" and they would need a search warrant, at least in my part of the world.  Microsoft is telling me - and you - that they will go into the contents of your hard drive if "they believe", but who are they to decide?  Judges?  What will their "beliefs" be based on, and why should they have carte blanche to go into anyone's hard drive?  I'd like to see some legal protection of my rights to privacy.  They have the technology...

#4 Rosenberg

Rosenberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

Hi Rosenberg :)

I think you may have misread the EULA and Privacy Policy of Microsoft Windows, I guess this applies only in some extreme case, maybe for troubleshooting or such. Is it possible for you to copy and paste here to accept part of EULA/Privacy Policy that you read and that mentionned that?

PS: Whose definition of "extreme"?  Troubleshooting will never require the contents of my diary or my tax returns...

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:59 PM

Do you realize that these terms exists for pretty much every OS and software there is? This isn't new at all. These are mostly used when they receive an order by the court and they have to comply. If you don't want to use Windows anymore and want to use another OS, the only family of OS that would fit your privacy needs is the Linux (*nix, UNIX, etc.) family. Other than that, these terms are in pretty much everything. I'm not the best one to tell you about these terms of use, but I'm sure a Microsoft MVP could jump in that thread and explain you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Rosenberg

Rosenberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

Hi Aura,

No worries - as I said previously, I read the post in the Windows 10 forum, and thought that perhaps someone might find it interesting that there are privacy concerns with Windows 8/8.1 as well.

If it's of no concern to you Aura, then that's your choice, and nobody will fault you for it.  No harm, no foul :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users