Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 System of a Clown

System of a Clown

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Hi.

I recently upgraded my RAM from 8 gigs to 32 gigs.  Previous to the upgrade, my computer would use between 3 - 6 gigs, depending on what I was doing.  Now, post-upgrade, it's using 7 - 8 gigs as a rule!  In checking the resource manager, I'm seeing that about 812,000 KB is being used by svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetworkRestricted).  This seems a bit excessive to me, so I'm wondering if it's just that BECAUSE I have more memory, my PC is utilizing more of it just because it can.  I still have 24 gig in standby, so it's not like I'm hurting for memory, but I'm still rather concerned.  I did a full computer scan using AVG free last night, and it found a few medium level threats but reports having successfully contained them all.

FYI - I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

Here's my current Speccy profile: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/g8XB20C87ubp2f73jT73RQZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 System of a Clown

System of a Clown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

PS - If I should have posted this in the virus forum, let me know, and I post it there instead.  I just wanted to know if this was a normal thing for memory upgrades.

PPS - I checked, the svchost.exe in question is running from C:\Windows\System32 and has a Microsoft copyright, and it's file version seems to be the same as all other svchost.exe processes that are running.  I know that doesn't necessarily rule anything else, but I was doing some reading in the meantime, and spotted that as a means of determine whether or not it's malware, so I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by System of a Clown, 02 February 2015 - 08:37 PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:39 PM

I'm wondering if it's just that BECAUSE I have more memory, my PC is utilizing more of it just because it can.

Yes, that is what Windows does, otherwise having extra memory would simply achieve nothing until one day in the future you used something with a massive memory demand. However for peace of mind you could certainly start a topic seeking a malware assessment if you wish.

Edited by Platypus, 02 February 2015 - 09:39 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:42 PM

I think you will find that you are using more real memory and less virtual memory

#5 System of a Clown

System of a Clown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:53 AM

Okay, thanks for the information!

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

I find shanepearce response to be the most exact. It is true tough that svchost can use alot of memory. Since it's basically a a SerVice HOST for windows services. Wich microsoft being microsoft can consume alot of memory, sometimes for no apparent reason.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users