Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 'local users and groups'.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Talent

Talent

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

Trying to get full administrator in Win 8. Following the instructions.... right click computer, left click manage. In system tools there should be 'local users and groups' option but this is missing?

Any ideas please? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

Hi Talent :)

The Users and Groups feature isn't available in the standard version of Windows 8/8.1, you need the Professional version to access it. Here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/local-users-and-groups-is-missing-in-computer/d0fa2023-a40b-4833-abaf-7e2e39a4d34d

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Talent

Talent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

Hi all, thanks for the help, it seems that my copy of Win 8 is the basic home version and can't be updated with spending some $'s. Forget that! Never again will I buy a OEM installed machine....

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

Usually, Windows Professional and Ultimate/Entreprise editions aren't sold on prebuilt computers and laptops available in stores. They put Home Premium (Windows 7) and standard (Windows 8/8.1) since the common user won't need the additional features provided in these other editions, hence why :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users