Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My windows vista home premium desktop will not turn on, just a light and fan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azlumberking

azlumberking

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

Hello. My computer was in sleep mode and would not respond to my key pressing or mouse clicking. I turned it off at the button and restarted it only to have it continue in sleep mode with a blinking light. I then unplugged the cord and plugged it back in. The light now is solid on restarts but still nothing to the monitor, keyboard or mouse. No beeps either. I unplugged all USB and all attachments in the back and am still getting the same result. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

What is the make and model?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 azlumberking

azlumberking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

It is an Acer AM5100-u5300a

4400+ amd processor

ATI radeon graphics

#4 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:25 PM

ONLY DO THIS PROCESS IF YOU HAVE NO MONITOR AT ALL. THAT MEANS IF YOU TURN THE PC ON AND YOU SEE A BIOS SCREEN READ OUT OR WINDOWS LOADING LOGO THESE STEPS ARE MOST LIKELY UNECESSARY

Power the pc completely down and unplug the cord from the power supply(or on some models turn off the power supply power switch) then hold the power button down on the front of the pc for 6 seconds(also press the power button a couple of times) to clear the capisitors on the main board. Plug the PC back in or turn on the power supply switch and turn on the PC using the front power button.
If that doesn't fix your problem then trouble shoot your ram and graphics card(if you have one)

To check your ram. Power off the PC and unplug or turn off power supply. Hold down the front power button again and press a couple times to clear power.
Ground yourselfTouch something metal before handling internal case components and handle them with care.
Reduce your sticks down to one stick and see if you get video. If not switch the slot to the other stick. Make sure it's in slot one. If slot one doesn't work try the next slot(most boards have ram slot indicators).

If a graphics card is connected to the PC take it out of the PCIe slot that it is connected to(make sure you unscrew it from the back of the case first). And plug your video cable into the main board.

You might also want to check your Power Supply Unit to see if it's outputting enough voltage or just try a good one on your pc to see if it fixes your problem.

Edited by ChiefTech, 06 February 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#5 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

As an additional step you might try taking out or replacing the CMOS battery on the board. This model is known to have issues with the PC not displaying video if the battery is bad.

Edited by ChiefTech, 06 February 2015 - 11:47 PM.

#6 azlumberking

azlumberking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

OK....I followed the steps. Have tried the ram fix and replaced the battery and reset the CMOS settings. Looks like I don't have a video card. Still nothing to monitor, mouse or keyboard. The fans are on, the hard drive is spinning and the power light is on. Same as before. Just seems like it won't come out of sleep mode. Is there a way to test the motherboard or is that over my skill set?

#7 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

Look closely at the motherboard for a CMOS or PWD reset jumper, usually it has 2 or 3 pins with 'normal' and 'reset' or 'clear' marked on one set of the pins.

Try this reset, let us know if there are any changes.

Inspect the motherboard closely for any bulged or blown capacitors, this is a common problem that results in the behavior you describe.

Other things to try:

Put some known good RAM in the computer, or try the RAM from your computer in another.

Test with a known good power supply, connect only the 24-pin and 4-pin connectors from the known good PSU to the motherboard (leaving the hdd, cdrom, etc disconnected).

If neither of those make any difference, your motherboard is faulty and will need to be replaced or repaired.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users