Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

registry defrag (mistake) need help fixing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blwrunner

blwrunner

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

I recently ran a registry defrag with advanced system care.  Afterwards my computer ran extremely slow, now it can barley boot up.  I tried to do a system refresh, but it was unable to do that. It said it was missing files.  So, I was wondering if there is anything I can do other then reinstalling windows.  I would like to keep all my programs and files as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

And this is exactly why Registry Cleaners should never be used, nor should IObit software be used at all. All they do is causing issues on a Windows system and add bloat. They aren't worth using at all. Did you check in the IObit folder if a back up of your Registry was made before that operation? If it did, you could restore it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 blwrunner

blwrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

And this is exactly why Registry Cleaners should never be used, nor should IObit software be used at all. All they do is causing issues on a Windows system and add bloat. They aren't worth using at all. Did you check in the IObit folder if a back up of your Registry was made before that operation? If it did, you could restore it.

I have found the IObit folder, where would I find a backup of my registry?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:22 PM

Apparently its a setting available in the Rescue Center. Check at the bottom of this support article:

http://www.iobit.com/help/asc/doc/top_faqs.html

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

Unlike registry cleaners, registry defragmentation typically consists of performing a physical defragmentation and compacting of the Windows registry in order to remove slack space which reduces the registry size. Whether degragmenting the registry will improve performance is debatable but any changes made to the registry after a defrag are lost when the computer is restarted.

What most people don't realize, however, is that your registry is fully loaded into RAM when your system boots, meaning all reads and writes to the registry are done directly to memory, and then loaded to the disk later. So while you're going to gain some slight performance gain by making sure your registry isn't too fragmented, the reality is that your system isn't going to suddenly be blazing fast because you defragged your registry.

What About Defragging the Registry?

IMO using a registry defragmenter is not really necessary but you may get differing opinions since some folks like to use such utilities.

However, some registry cleaners which include degragmentation features, may peform other optimizing actions which claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Further, using registry cleaners unnecessarily or incorrectly is dangerous and could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

Backup ALL your data now!

In place OS install may be in order.  You would keep all your data but will need to reinstall your apps.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users