Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Power, Booting, and Drivers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DLT656

DLT656

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hi everybody! Recently, I have run into a handful of issues with my computer. I built it myself about 2 months ago and it was running fine up until late January. The first issue that happened only occurred occasionally. Every few days, when pressing the power button on the case, the computer wouldn't turn on. I removed the side panel of the case and put it on back on and it turned on. Every time it wouldn't power on, I would use this temporary fix. It hasn't happened in a few days now but I'm not sure it is fixed. The second issue I ran into only happened once but it struck me as odd. After the power wouldn't turn on and using my temporary fix, the American Megatrends BIOS screen came up and the message said, "Overclocking Failed". This was very weird as I have never overclocked anything on this computer. After rebooting, it went away and I haven't seen it since. The final issue that has just occurred today is that my graphics card driver keeps crashing or freezing. I was playing Counter-Strike: Source and the first time it occurred I thought it was just because the driver was out of date. So, I went to the GeForce website and downloaded and installed the latest driver. This seemed to fix the problem until it froze about a half hour ago.

With all these issues going on, I am at a loss for a solution. I don't know if this is even the right place to post this but I just really need some help as to how I can fix these problems. You can view the entire part list of my build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w2cq99  

Thanks for the help!

-Duncan 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Seems like theres not enough voltage what is the voltage of your psu?

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:12 AM

Very nice build, seeing the system will start when removing the side tells me this could be a pinched/loose wire.  Do a thorough inspection of connections and wiring.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:11 AM

Some cases have a open case switch which could cause this to happen.

I realize that you have posted a link to view your parts list, but there is more information I would like to review, so please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DLT656

DLT656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

Some cases have a open case switch which could cause this to happen.

I realize that you have posted a link to view your parts list, but there is more information I would like to review, so please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Ok, I already had Speccy installed so this was simple. Here is a link to the results: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0hOyGuXExsgz5rutkMY7l80

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

DLT652, you don't need to quote my post.

Did you look at the case to see if there is open case switch?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Most homebuilt pc's don't come with a open case ' switch ' so I also suspect pinched wire/lose connection.  Check the motherboard connections for the power and the reset switch.  I have also heard some people get a faulty power on switch on the case- this could also be your problem.  But I would check the wires/connectors first.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

DLT656, just open the case and see if you can find a switch where the side panel of the case would make contact with it.  This can resolve this one way or another.

Because opening and closing the case seems to resolve the problem I don't believe this is related to the power switch itself.  This is a momentary switch which when is pressed closes a circuit in the motherboard which initiates the startup of the PSU.  This switch is like the old style door bell buttons, once the switch is depressed the doorbell will continue to ring until you remove your finger from the button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users