Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online images appearing incomplete

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 henryflower

henryflower

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Hello all,

We run two laptops:

1: Lenovo Ideapad, Windows 7, intel core i3, 64 bit, 8 gb RAM, nvidia GeForce graphics.

2: HP Pavilion, Windows 8.1, intel core i5, 64 bit, 8 gb RAM, Intel hd graphics.

Both laptops are connected to a Netgear 54mbps ADSL2+ wireless router, receiving Virgin broadband. This set-up has functioned very well with no problems for many months... until about three nights ago.

BOTH laptops are now having problems with displaying images online. When browsing online they are now struggling to load complete images, whether large or small, whether jpeg, png, gif. Images appear garbled and green or grey - sometimes only the bottom half, sometimes almost the entire image. Sometimes a blurred pixelated 'draft' of the image appears, but as the laptop tries to complete the rendering in more detail it's as though it gets halfway down and gives up, displaying grey or green banding or pattern.

Pages are not otherwise garbled, there are no problems with text or formatting - only with the images. Movie files still stream with no problem, even in HD.

To reiterate, this is happening on BOTH laptops and started a few nights ago. I can't recall any change that could have caused the problem. It is happening on IE11, on Google Chrome, on MSN sports, news and weather apps, Weirdly, this problem is often barely present during the day and becomes severe in the evening. Here's what I've tried:

I've run AVG scans on both laptops and found nothing.

I've deleted offline content and cache.

I've reset all IE settings to default.

I've disabled all browser add-ons.

I've checked the drivers for the graphics.

I've unplugged the router for an hour and tried again.

I've factory reset the router and re-installed ISP account settings.

I've torn my hair out, lit candles and prayed to the Microsoft logo.

Nothing seems to be helping at all. Even during the evening when images are hardly loading at all, we can stream videos or use Skype on both laptops without problem - it's still only image display that is a problem - which leaves me puzzled: if the problem is affecting BOTH laptops then it seems logical that the problem must lie with the router or our ISP. But, if there is a problem with our router or ISP, why are there no problems with HD video streaming, with text, with anything other than images?

This is the first time I've been completely bamboozled by a problem like this, so if anyone can help I'd be hugely grateful.

Thanks for reading,

Michael

Edited by henryflower, 02 February 2015 - 04:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users