Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to study networking :)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 akosinyll

akosinyll

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

Anyone who can get me burning before I start this thing up?  :busy: I really want to study this field and hoping someone who can help me get started. Basics, General Information and Terms, I think?  :bowdown:

Mod Edit: Moved to IT Cert ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 02 February 2015 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

I'd recommend starting with Exam Cram's Network+ book.

Another thing to do might be to listen, or read, to the Security Now! podcasts

#3 akosinyll

akosinyll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

I'd recommend starting with Exam Cram's Network+ book.

Another thing to do might be to listen, or read, to the Security Now! podcasts

Thanks for the help, I will check that out  :thumbup2:

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

I liked the Network + deluxe study guide by Todd Lammle. I also used his book for my A+.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 akosinyll

akosinyll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

I only have the C++ book for my programing major  :scratchhead:

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

You might also find it helpful to look at the BC section on 'IT certifications and careers'.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 akosinyll

akosinyll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

You might also find it helpful to look at the BC section on 'IT certifications and careers'.

Chris Cosgrove

Will surely check that once I got home. Thank you.  :lol:

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:00 PM

Network+ is a good broad choice to start. Security+ is also good once you have your Net+. Then you can go specific if you want

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 akosinyll

akosinyll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Thank you for the reponses, looking forward to enjoy this networking stuff.  :clapping: I find this one interesting to explore.

#10 Wesker1984

Wesker1984

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

Cisco CCNA covers the fundamentals of networking as well as Cisco products specifically. Try these, they are completely free: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmdYg02XJt6QRQfYjyQcMPfS3mrSnFbRC. Or you could try CBT Nuggets as Jeremy Ciaora is a brilliant if wacky tutor...

#11 KingJay1979

KingJay1979

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:49 PM

This all depends on if you want to learn about networking or jump face first into networking.  If you want to just learn about it and see if it is something that you want to do get Lammle's Network + book and start reading.  If you want to make it your career and you know it, go out and buy Lammle's CCNA book and the 2 book series from Wendell Odom for CCNA.  Once you get a CCNA, the Network+ cert will just be a space filler.  The first Odom book will give you the basics anyway.  But, be warned CCNA is not just a cram and pass test, all the Cisco certs build on it.  Also, IMO the exam cram books are just that, if you use them study the traditional books first and then read the cram book a week or two before the test.

J

P.S.

I am currently studying for my CCNP:Route test.

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:21 AM

I can honestly say both Network + and Cisco CCENT(100-101 ICND1)  cover network basics. The CCNE introduces you to Cisco command line specific programming information. If you take the network + first the first few chapters of the CCNA discovery series will be very easy. The second test (200-101 ICND2) for the CCNA covers LAN switching technologies, IP routing technologies, IP services (FHRP, syslog, SNMP v2 and v3), troubleshooting, and WAN technologies.

Credit: Cisco for reference

Edit: I agree with KingJay1979 the exam cram books do not give you all the information you will need in the field just what you need to know to pass the exam. Use them both wisely.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 February 2015 - 02:23 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 alik66178

alik66178

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:53 AM

After getting the basic knowledge of networking, do not waste much of time to study by own. Networking is a wast subject, it's better go for some training. I also did my CCNA CCNP Boot Camp Trainings just within 1 and 1/2 month from Luminis Consulting Services. Now I am CCNP certified and have a good job. Trainer will really help you to understand the technologies in the correct manner and in the shortest time frame.

#14 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:43 AM

Boot Camps aren't for everyone.  You get a ton of information in a very short time.  One of my instructors went this method and he said even though he had his certification his worst fear was that someone would ask him something.  Once you get in the field you start building on your foundation and things will start making more sense.

#15 alik66178

alik66178

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:12 AM

Yes agree BC Advisor BOOT CAMPS are not for everyone, but who are serious about their study and want to get the knowledge in short time period, Boot camps are for those. When I started my Boot camps I had only the basic knowledge of networking. How much you will get from Boot camp training it's depend on your trainer and you. I also not  agree that if you will study slowly, you will be able to get the more knowledge. If you have knowledge, you will be able to understand the implementation or application of it. It dose not matter you acquired it in short time period or long time period. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users