Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter Not Working

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

For the past year or so, I have been using my PC for gaming, but up until yesterday, my network adapter that connects me to the Internet wirelessly just sort of died on me. The lights on the adapter don't blink anymore, and my computer doesn't pick up that it's even plugged in. It gave me an alert about it using too much power before it shut off. Help?

Specs:
RAM: 8 GB RAM
Processor: Intel Core i5 3550 @3.30ghz
Motherboard: ASRock H77M
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (EVGA)
Wireless Adapter: D-Link DWA-162
Using Windows 7.

Edited by NguyenAntho, 02 February 2015 - 11:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

Have you tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in? If that doesn't work you could try plugging it into another computer to test if it is dead for sure.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Have you tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in? If that doesn't work you could try plugging it into another computer to test if it is dead for sure.

I have tried it, and it does work for the other computer.

#4 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Is it possible the power plug 5v 2A adapter went bad and not the wireless adapter part? I would check that first if no lights appear when plugged in. 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#5 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

I am not able to find any info on the model wireless card that you mentioned, is it a PCI card or external? My next guess would also be the power being the issue.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

it is possible that you have a virus,if your adapter works on other computers but not yours- you might want to post over in "Am I Infected" forum - this has happened to a couple of my clients-

#7 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

I am not able to find any info on the model wireless card that you mentioned, is it a PCI card or external? My next guess would also be the power being the issue.

It's external, and I even switched the cable (it uses a micro-USB) with my phone cable and still nothing

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

Do you have a web page for this adapter? I could not find anything.

Download USBdeview. Detach any USB devices other than your mouse and keyboard. Detach the USB wireless adapter. Run USBdeview and delete any Vendor Specific Device except your mouse and keyboard. Delete anything related to your Dlink adapter also.

Reboot the comptuer and then attach your USB wireless adapter. You may have to reinstall your drivers for the adapter if it is not plug and play.

If that does not work, right click your USB wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2015 - 06:46 PM.

#9 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

Do you have a web page for this adapter? I could not find anything.

Download USBdeview. Detach any USB devices other than your mouse and keyboard. Detach the USB wireless adapter. Run USBdeview and delete any Vendor Specific Device except your mouse and keyboard. Delete anything related to your Dlink adapter also.

Reboot the comptuer and then attach your USB wireless adapter. You may have to reinstall your drivers for the adapter if it is not plug and play.

If that does not work, right click your USB wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

1. The device doesn't even show up on the computer.
2. How do I go by downloading with no internet? I have no usable wireless adaptee.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

You can download it to a USB flash drive on another computer. Are you posting now from a phone?

#11 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:34 PM

You can download it to a USB flash drive on another computer. Are you posting now from a phone?

Yes. Well, the problem is I do not have another computer at easy access. I was only able to test it earlier for a short time period.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

Have you tried a different USB port just in case? The USBDeview would be able to disconnect and remove the previously installed driver of your USB wifi adapter and then start to reinstall the correct driver as it may be corrupt in the first place.

Tekken

#13 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

Have you tried a different USB port just in case? The USBDeview would be able to disconnect and remove the previously installed driver of your USB wifi adapter and then start to reinstall the correct driver as it may be corrupt in the first place.

I have. I even moved my keyboard and mouse USBs to other slots and they work fine.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

So it means all USB devices worked other than the wifi adapter?

Tekken

#15 NguyenAntho

NguyenAntho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

So it means all USB devices worked other than the wifi adapter?

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users