Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a new HDD to mirror existing HDD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sodicka320

sodicka320

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

Hi

My work pc listed below is getting on a little now and was wondering how easy it would be to add an extra  HDD to run as RAID 1 Mirror of the existing drive in case of drive failure?

Can this be done with Win7 Premium or do I need pro or ultimate? or is there other software?

Cheers :cool:

Work Pc:
Quad Q9550 2.83ghz
4gb XMS2 DDR2 800mhz
Asus P5QL Mobo
Windows 7 Premium
Palit GTS250 1GB ddr3
450watt FSP PSU
640Gb WD Caviar Blue HD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi

You should be able to run a RAID 1 array if your MoBo chipset supports RAID 1 configurations.

I have a Win 7x64 Home Premium (OEM version) Desktop PC with an Asus MoBo.  I was originally running a RAID 1 config but I disabled it for a couple of reasons:

The main reason I discontinued my RAID 1 setup was that although it does protect the PC against HDD failures and provides a real-time backup of HDD content, the mirror drive will also be affected by malicious intrusions.

I opted to go with a periodic Cloning (and Imaging less frequently) backup plan to backup the HDD in conjunction with my own script that backs up my often-edited/updated specific items on my PC.

The other reason I discontinued RAID was that I was having an intermittent Raid Array issue that was disabling the operation of the array and it was taking too much time to rebuild the array

That problem turned out to be an intermittent  problem with one of my RAM sticks. 

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

Yes, absolutely you can mirror hd1 onto hd2.  There are numerous ways to do this.  I use both Acronis True Image to clone the first time, then FreeFileSync to "mirror"  any/all changes.  I want hd2 to be able to come online within minutes if hd1 develops any major OS, internet, etc. problems.  When not being mirrored, when not being used, I use Acronis Disk Director to hide both volumes, finally CTL-PNL/Device Mgr to disable hd2.

I also use Acronis to make backups onto two external platter-clatter HDs.

Edited by RolandJS, 03 February 2015 - 10:51 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

14a5ua.jpg

Those are good ideas :).  I like the "hide vol" and the "disable hd2" ideas since, I think, that would provide HDD2 protection against the encryption attack variants ("Cryptowall", etc).

I looked into "FreeFileSync" a while back but put that idea on hold for a while.  With your approaches, that sounds like a good alternative plan vs a RAID 1 config.

I also use Acronis but haven't dug into much of its capabilities, mainly using it just to Clone from the bootable cd and to run a daily unattended backup job.

Thanks for posting your HDD backup scenarios.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hey, we can share ideas on this topic backNforth quite awhile.  We can fire shots across the bow -- features, benefits, good & not so good consequences of the various choices we're thinking of making, and of those we have made.  Who knows, maybe we can co-author this and make no money, only allies.  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 sodicka320

sodicka320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the great replies guys.

Acronis looks pretty good for my needs.

Not sure whether to have internal drive which is more likely to be backed up regularly or external that can be taken home offsite but probably wont get updated so regularly.

If main HDD goes pop how do you get the PC to use/see image on ext /internal HDD if youo cant boot up?? ( in bios ?? )

Also after first image is taken are the next ones quicker just updating the original image?

Cheers :cool:

Edited by sodicka320, 03 February 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

...If main HDD goes pop how do you get the PC to use/see image on ext /internal HDD if you cant boot up?? ( in bios ?? )

Also after first image is taken are the next ones quicker just updating the original image?  Cheers :cool:

Most if not all backup/restore programs allow you to make a USB stick and/or a CD/DVD boot, with enough software on it to either scorch the earth and re-plant & re-animal OS; or do a little fixin' up [horses in the barn, cows in the field]; or allow you to restore an image from either internal or external source.  I have not done incremental imaging, only full partition imaging [OS cdrive & data drive].

I had to convert my UEFI/BIOS to legacy in several places so that I can boot any number of external devices, less security, more functionality - for me.  My particular BIOS lets me save several boot&preferences profiles, I think I learned more than what I will end up actively using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users