Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gunny3053

Gunny3053

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hi Gang

I am contemplating buying this HP Laptop off a friend of mine. I am buying this for my Granddaughter and she works in some very dim lit places, so  back lit Keyboard would work out great for her, you might say it is a necessity for her

Now a very simple question, This HP Elitebook 8407p Laptop looks very good, condition wise and I feel very safe as to who I am buying it from. Now this Laptop does not have a back lit Keyboard, but he is telling me it can be fitted with a back lit Keyboard. And he has supplied me with 4 people with backlit Keyboards for sale for this Mod Laptop. I e-mailed 2 of them and both say no these Keyboards only will replace Mod's that came with backlit Keyboards, not any that did not come from the factory with non backlit Keyboards. 

So can you all please straighten me out on this argument. Can this Laptop that did not come with a backlit keyboard be fitted with a backlit Keyboard. Yes or No. 

Thanx....Gunny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hi there Gunny,

From what I know, fitting a new keyboard onto a laptop is pretty difficult work - one must be very careful during removal and installation of the keyboard to avoid breaking the nearby circuits.

So my answer is Yes, but it must be done with a certified technician. One wrong move and you could break the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:36 AM

The correct model number (I believe) is 8470p. That model did not come with a backlit keyboard so there is no direct replacement. It is possible a backlit keyboard from another model may work, however my searches have come up empty.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Well for the sheer sake of not limiting yourself.  I rarely actually look at my keyboard when I am typing.  You can always get a keyboard that has a backlite.  And then you don't have to worry about weather the laptop has lighted keys or not.   Or if swapping it out will work or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users