Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about hacking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

Can android be hacked any other way WITHOUT installing a malicious app? For example, can it be remotely exploited?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

Not that I'm aware of. The only one I know of in existence still needed a compromised app installed. Which was later patched by Google.

More information here: http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/70-of-android-devices-vulnerable-to-a-remote/

So unless you have existing vulnerabilities within the device to be exploited. I would say no it's not currently possible to remotely exploit a secure Android device. This does not mean somebody is not actively trying to make it happen. And that later this post will be wrong. This is why I italicized the word currently in my preceding statement.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

As Animal has already said there is no known remote exploit.

As long as you install apps only from Google Play Store, you are safe.

Installing apps downloaded from other sites could exploit the Futex vulnerability in Linux kernels with build date before 16 June 2014. Futex vulnerability can be used to get the root access and once an app gets root access, it can do anything it wants.

You can check kernel build date in Android by opening Settings -> About Phone

Edited by Romeo29, 06 February 2015 - 01:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users