Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just ordered new computer, how would you rate the specs?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Pete599

Pete599

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:19 PM

I will be using the computer for mostly video editing with 4K HD video files. How would you rate the specs?

Thanks.

HP ENVY 700xt Windows 7 Desktop

K7X03AV#ABA_1

• HP Envy 700-515xt Desktop PC
  • 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor quad-core [3.6GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
  • 8GB DDR3-1600MHz [1 DIMM ]
  • 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 [DVI, HDMI, DP, DVI to VGA adapter]
  • 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • Windows 7 Pro 64
  • HP WLAN 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 MCard BT
  • 15-in-1 Multi-slot Media Card Reader, 4 USB Ports (Front/Top), Audio [Front 2USB2.0, Top 2USB3.0]
  • 300W Power supply
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner
  • Integrated Sound, Envy Audio; Beats Audio

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2015 - 12:53 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Buying New Computer - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:33 PM

I would gladly pay $500 for that rig...even if it only came in pink..:)

I'm a bit surprised at the size of power supply. But I'm sure HP knew what it would take to power that rig. Now all you need to really jazz it up

is an SSD...maybe a 120 GB one for super fast boots, etc.

Very nice rig. Care to tell us what it cost and where you got it from?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Pete599

Pete599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

Got it from the HP Website during a sale with a coupon code.

Originally it cost $1,150. But I got it for $799.99 after all my discounts.

Hoping I got a good deal.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Nice pick, but as buddy215 mentioned, the power supply is not up to mark if you use it for intensive applications. Try putting some good load on it by using benchmark suites like pcmark / 3dmark (vantage), novabench, Cinebench, Unigine Benchmark, PassMark PerformanceTest or HD Tune .
Pick two or 3 to stress your machine and see it in action.
what about the monitor res.?
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 Pete599

Pete599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

So how can I fix that problem? Do I have to buy a different power supply?

Why would HP send me a power supply that can't adequately perform with the computer? 

If anyone could point me in the direction of a better power supply thats compatible with my computer it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

Edited by Pete599, 02 February 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#6 Pete599

Pete599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

I'm very concerned now that I customized all these extra specs and I won't even be able to use them fully because the system is underpowered.

Someone help!  :wacko:

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Just to be clear...my remark concerning the power supply was not meant to be taken as 'it is inadequate'. As I said....I'm sure HP knew what it would take to power that rig.

Computer hardware has become 'greener' over the years.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

I have the same doubts, I think the power supply might give you some issues in the long run but I can't tell for sure. If only there had been an SSD in that build for Windows and your editing software it would had been perfect. Isn't there a website online that takes in input your hardware components and output the PSU power needed to run all these?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Pete599

Pete599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:06 PM

http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/PSUEngine2

I used that PSU calculator, inputted my specs and it said minimum recommended is 277w.

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator

This website is telling me recommended wattage is 903w. What the hell!!??

277w and 903w is a big difference!

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

Let's say that the Cooler master website is right and the recommended is 277W. What about the keyboard and the mouse, and even other USBs? I don't know how it includes them in the addition, probably from the motherboard I guess.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

There are gizmos for monitoring/ testing electrical appliances, computers, etc power usage rates.

One example: P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor - Low Temperature Alarms - Amazon.com

#12 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

I think the minimum recommended value is not meant for high performance. You can get real view of performance if you stress test your rig.
If the tests run smoothly, then every thing is okay.:)
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:31 AM

Do not want to hijack the thread, but maybe somebody here can give me a definitive answer on this. Does the Wattage of a PSU degrade over time?

#14 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

I think No.
But it all depends on the A/C power supply and the components used in SMPS/ PSU.
If you can provide the rated voltage and current, have a PSU made from good quality components like the transformer, capacitor etc, you get the rated values across the output. There maybe a variation of /- 1% to 10% over the time.

#15 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

See here http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-745-oem/specifications

the requirement is 300 watts so you are good but it is the minimum. I personally like to have more than the minimum just in case. There is also a note at the bottom stating OEM's may be qualified to run at at a lower power supply than noted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users