Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to print from my computer ~Linux

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 level2

level2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

Greetings, I have a dell laptop with Linux Operating System. We have a Canon MX860 printer. The girls print from their computers {they have windows on as their os.

How can I print from this computer. There must be drivers for Linux. Sure would be thankful for some help.

Thankyou,

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

did you google it yet?  You need to remember (I still struggle with this) if you ask the question there is a practical 100% chance that someone else has asked it. open up your favorite search page and at least do a cursory search.

Edited by bmike1, 02 February 2015 - 05:24 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=Canon+MX860+printer+linux

http://www.lbsharp.com/wordpress/index.php/2009/11/21/setting-up-a-canon-mx860-printer-on-a-64-bit-linux-system/

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

bmike, have you considered that many searchers are directed here to Bleeping Computer by Google results?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

few of them direct here. none of the results from my list point here. this website is only a drop in the sea of support pages. in the posts that followed I put links to my search and one of the returns.

(after a couple of minutes)

you seriously think this website is so important? (I scrolled way down and the only bleeping computers post that appears is the original post)

Edited by bmike1, 02 February 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

Bleeping Computer exists to offer people assistance with their computer problems. Why would it make sense to immediately chase someone off to Google when they have come here hoping for that help? Especially if they may have already noticed BC being offered by Google  - level2 found us by some means in the past and evidently regards us as worth asking. The Linux forum is here to assist people to use Linux successfully, and to give the members who enjoy promoting Linux and working with those seeking help, a platform to do so. I hope level2 benefits from the links you've provided.

#7 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:57 PM

I hope so too.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

you seriously think this website is so important?

Yes,

And so do the thousands of people we help for free every year. It's why I joined BC, and consider it an honour to be an Advisor here.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

Hi level2

Can you please tell me what Linux you use? This will make giving instructions easier.

Some problems are more complicated than others and require additional work to isolate the issue. So, try not to overwhelm the user with possible conflicting information during the troubleshooting process. Wait for the user to report back that step 1 is done and the result before suggesting anything new,

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Edited by NickAu, 02 February 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#10 level2

level2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

Greetings, My thanks to you who are willing to help. My daughter was able to sit at my computer and make it responsive, I can now print both pictures and script.

Platypus, The daughter, I speak of , just graduated from Brisbane School of Distance,Au. having gone from grade 1 to 12 on line.

Nick, Thank you also.

Mike,  Stay out of the sun.

Richard

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,689 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:36 PM

Hi Richard.

Great to hear you can print now, How much do you know about Linux? What distro is it? Have you enabled the firewall?

If no

Open terminal and type. Debian based distros.

sudo ufw enable

This will enable the firewall and create a script that will start it each time you boot Linux.

Do you require help with anything else? Updating, Setting up browser? Backing up your entire OS with Time Shift, Its kinda like system restore on Windows.

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation!

Edited by NickAu, 03 February 2015 - 01:47 AM.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation!

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:41 AM

Richard,  :welcome: to the Linux section of BC Forums!

We do the best we can to assist here, and are more than happy to do so, it's what we're here for.  :thumbup2:

It so happens that I'm still having some issues with Linux printing, however I believe it's my choice of printer more than anything. Mine's a Kodak 3250 AIO from 2009 (close to the circa of yours), and while it will print on Linux Mint 17.1, twice as much B&W ink is used as opposed to when on Windows 7. So far, the only workaround I've found was to save docs, receipts, etc to my Documents, then copy to a memory card & plug into the printer's slot for that type of card & print from the LCD screen. Wished I had known that 3 years before I did, as they say, better late than never. 

That wasn't the permanent solution I was looking for, but it got me over the hump, will have to choose a more Linux friendly printer the next time around. 

My luck with Linux printing was better on a 32 bit OS, there were some really good 32 bit Linux drivers created for Kodak printers. However, on my current hardware, am not going that far back just to have printing capabilities, and the devs dropped Kodak development as soon as the corporation went under. Will keep on doing things the way I have been & next time around shop for a more Linux compatible printer, of which there's quite a few. There once was a current list of compatible ones, the best picks available at time of writing, but can't seem to find that page at the moment. 

Congrats on your daughters recent graduation! :)

Anytime you need assistance, we're here for you. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:59 AM

I looked for a list of printers that would work for you but could only find this: https://www.openprinting.org/printers/

Do the 'List by manufacturer' > 'Show all'

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:04 AM

you seriously think this website is so important? 

Yes I do! :)

And here's why, millions of users have found solutions to their issues & much more on this site. For example, between 2007/08-2013, I was constantly being linked to this site to fix a particular issue after searching, and the majority of the time whatever issue was handled with the info from the site. Hardware, software & security issues, I used the advise freely given to others to apply to identical situations & seldom did a given solution not work. A few times when it didn't, there were other issues to be addressed. 

I consider it to be a privilege and honor to be a Advisor on this site, it's the best of it's type, as evidenced by it's large & loyal following. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 03 February 2015 - 02:09 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users