One of my PC's running Windows 7 Pro has just suddenly started acting very strangely.
Basically when I press the "r" key, the run dialog box opens. The same issue happens when I press other keys on my keyboard - it is as if I am pressing the CTRL-key plus the other key. This happened suddenly without warning and I have been unable to get rid of it.
I have tried the following (none of which made any difference):
1. Explicitly turned off stickykeys in the ease-of-use/acessability options. [they weren't switched on, but I unticked everything anyway]
2. Tried a different USB keyboard
3. Tried the on-screen keybaord
4. Tried booting in safe Mode and using 1-3 above.
5. Edited the registry (which was fun when you can't enter "r" into the search box as run immediately opens), and changing the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\StickyKeys - changed Flag to 506 (also tried 26)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response - changed Flag to 122
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\ToggleKeys - changed Flag to 58
[I also changed the above keys in HKEY_USERS\Default\ControlPanel\Accessibility]
6. Reverted to an earlier image of my C: drive from earlier this month and made the above changes to that restored image.
7. Run an anti-virus check using Avast (which normally runs in the background anyway) - it came up clean.
None of it made any difference - they keys are still behaving strangely.
Can anybody suggest what is causing this issue and how I can resolve it?
Is it software or hardware (even BIOS) related???
I've tried all that I could think of, so any helpful suggestions greatly appreciated.