Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Reboot Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_26

Ben_26

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

Hi i am new to the forum

i would like to ask please,

I have a Laptop, Acer Aspire 4750 (640GB HD) 2GB Memory

with windows 7

the OC Drive is Nearly full i was trying to download Avast as it kept informing  there were no endpoints for a scan.

so wanted a fresh copy install but there was no more room left to Download Avast .

So checked the Box " compresse Drive to save to Disk and also Checked  Allow Indexing Service to Index the Disk for fast file searching.

Unfortunately during the process the system froze ,The only option was to Shutdown by cutting the switch.When i rebooted the message on the screen was

"OAYSD is Compressed Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart "can only continue around in this Circle.

I have the option to open the in F2 or F12 for boot Settings by changing the order of booting makes no difference I have no Back ups or Restore Points or back up Image When  Using Repair Disc CD have very limited options left.

I can Boot up Ubuntu Browser running from a USB Flash drive which does give me access to all my Pictures Documents Etc from the Laptop.But cannot connect to my Wireless .

I would be very grateful for some help on this problem

Thanks ,Ben.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hi Ben_26, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Since you can access your important files I would suggest that you backup all of your data to removable media, such as an external hdd, flash drive, DVD, etc.

Then use the recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.

1.  Press the Power button to start the PC

2.  At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the Alt key and press the F10 key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery.

3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click Restore to Factory Default Settings
Click OK to continue.

4.  The eRecovery process will reinstall the operating system on the C: drive. 

5.  Once Recovery has run, press OK to reboot unit

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hi dc3 ,

thanks for taking time to answer my questions on my Acer Laptop

I have followed your instructions but unfortunately  i cannot access eRecovery and cannot boot a white BIOS after holding the ALT key and pressing F10 together.

I can only access Bios in Grey background and Blue Fonts which ony give me different options of booting but always coming back to the Loop  Black screen stating" OAYSD is Compressed press Ctrl+ Alt+Del to Restart " When i use a Repair Disc it only give options

of Restore, image restore  repair, but states nothing to repair in start up.

I haven't  found options to load  eRecovery and to reinstall to factory Defaults.

I am a bit lost as to what  else to try doing.

Thanks for your recent last generous help

Regards Ben

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

When you press the power button do you eventually see the Acer splash screen?

If you do, try the key combination at that point.

If you can't get this to work you can download a ISO image of your version of Windows 7 and use it to create an installation disc.  You can use this to reinstall the operating system.  Once this is done you should be able to use the recovery partition to install the operating system and all of the drivers.

If you wish to go that route, let me know and I will provide instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

dc3, correct me if I'm wrong, however, is it almost mutually-exclusive to both compress and have full indexing on?  I have never compressed a HD.  And, I turned off all indexing except for txt & doc files.  I'm uncomfortable with compression, what sayest thou? 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:50 AM

@RolandJS

This is a good question.  But I feel that answering this in this here would be taking this off topic.

You should open a topic in one of the Windows forums to submit this question.  I'm sure that you would get some good information. :thumbup2:

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

dc3, thanks for reply, I was actually wanting to help Ben_26 sort through some of his ongoing choices concerning compression and indexing, since he was activating both services.  He was downloading Avast, I hope to inspire him, after the boot situation is resolved, to save some of his CPU/RAM resources by suggesting which Avast services can be turned off and not missed.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

When you press the power button do you eventually see the Acer splash screen?

If you do, try the key combination at that point.

If you can't get this to work you can download a ISO image of your version of Windows 7 and use it to create an installation disc.  You can use this to reinstall the operating system.  Once this is done you should be able to use the recovery partition to install the operating system and all of the drivers.

If you wish to go that route, let me know and I will provide instructions.

Hi dc3 thanks for your reply and help Yes i do have the splash screen but the Alt+F10 still won't work so i would be very grateful for you to give me your instructions on dowloading ISO image which is good of you to help me.Regards Ben

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

I did a quick search for the operating system for this Acer, it shows that this is Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).  If this is not correct, let me know what version you have installed.

You can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 from the link below.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed.  These images are hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has been created click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

You will find a good Windows 7 Installation guide at Windows Seven Forums.

Attention:  Pay particular attention to Step 8, you do not want to erase the recovery partition.  There should be two partitions, the recovery partition will me much smaller that the C: drive.

Edited by dc3, 03 February 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#10 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hi Again dc3 ,

thanks for your kind help

I tried the method from your instructions above but it didn't work on the Acer.

I presume mine is a 32bit Version i would be very grateful ,if you dont mind ,sending me the same link for the

32bit Home Premium Link if you have one that is.(as i cannot find it online )

Thanks for all your input and time in helping.

Regards Ben.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

You can not make assumptions regarding the version of this operating system.  If you are sure this is a 32-bit version use the link below.

#12 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

Hi There dc3,

Thanks for all your instructions, as a novice i am certaily learning a lot from you from this great website forum.

I uploaded the windows installation from the CD at the beginning after clicking install windows 7

in Step One (get information) I only get as far as A scan for Drivers which informs  cannot find Driver Devices

please install from CD (and explains i can take out Windows 7 installation CD and put in the relevant CD for the Drivers)

Which i don't have ! :busy: I have found out from a scan i some how got to that: Problem could be:   

\ File\boot\memtest.exe

Status 0xc000000f  Missing or Corrupted and when the CD is ejected in the top of  black screen  states:

BOOTMGR image is Corrupt The System cannot Boot.

I would very much like your professional input on this please

Regards Ben

#13 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hi dc3 Yes you are right my Laptop is an Acer 64Bit thanks , the other issue i have is when i started to download one of the links i am

asked by my PC once i have clicked the download ,there is a  programme which i have located but cannot uninstall "cdreader Key

" wants me to  use the KEY for this  Desk top PC  which is visible for the download if i click it away i lose the down load  before burning process Burning to CD .I would really be grateful for your kind help regards Ben

Edited by hamluis, 06 February 2015 - 06:21 PM.
Removed unnecessary quoteboxes - Hamluis.

#14 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:09 AM

You can not make assumptions regarding the version of this operating system.  If you are sure this is a 32-bit version use the link below.

Hi dc3 , ....SUCCESS! :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:   Can i just congratulate you on all your clear instructions and helping with gettiing  my Acer Laptop to work again its working even better now too . Your  doing a great job on the forum for Novices like myself,  i am  very greatful for all your very kind input as it's good to have help from over the pond!Thanks for taking time to reply to my questions, Great Forum too.Good Luck from Ben.(UK)

Edited by Ben_26, 07 February 2015 - 08:10 AM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

Ten years ago I was the novice, so I can still remember those who took the time to provide instructions that I could follow.

Happy computing. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users