Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing a new tv-tuner card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 timbo59

timbo59

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

I used to have an old MSI tuner card that I used to watch TV on my PC, transfer old home videos, video from my camera, and to record old movies from TV. Can't remember exactly how I did it, but I used to be able to adjust the bit rate so that the end product would fit more or less exactly on to a DVD. I used to use an earlier version of TPMG for the final product.

Well I feel like putting a similar card in my present computer, and am not sure which way to go. I was looking at the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250, and I'm a little confused. A lot of the reviews make points about how the card is useless for picking up cable channels because they're encrypted, but given that my standard method of operation used to be to hook up my PC directly from the back of the cable box via a splitter, rather than from the wall, that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Thanks

Motherboard – ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
Sound - Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
RAM - Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB)
DVD - Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1L SCSI
HD - Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Power - Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W
OS – Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Edited by timbo59, 02 February 2015 - 05:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:47 AM

I'd recommend a USB version if possible.  Makes it much easier to move to a different computer.  Add in card slot haven't changed in the past few years, that means they are due.  Also you can use it on a laptop or possibly even a tablet.

Correct, since you're getting the decrypted signal you shouldn't have issues with decryption, but that doesn't mean that you won't have issues with copy protection.  Not saying that you'll have any, but it is a possibility.  I watched the Super Bowl last night on mine without issue, but I only have standard definition signal.

I can tell you from past experience, there is nothing worst than having something you use be made useless by a change in card slot.

#3 timbo59

timbo59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:36 AM

Yeah, you're right in the sense that the technology doesn't seem to have come very far regarding the internal units - they seem to be still selling the same models from a few years back. Not really familiar with external units - anything you'd suggest that gives good reproduction, sound, etc?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

I've got one similar to the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q(WinTV-HVR-955Q) USB TV Tuner Stick/Hybrid Video Recorder with Remote Control.  I use it just like you use a VCR.  You connect to the cable box and use the cable box to select the channels.  Reviews are all over the board, some great, some bad, read the bad ones to see if you're still interested.  The complaints I saw were that it runs hot and doesn't have Linux support.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:32 AM

Okay well I am going to put in my bid for the Home Run series of tv tuners.  Yes USB video DO run hot .. and tend to burn themselves out after some time.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

Some channels are encrypted and to get them you will need one of the tuners that comes equipped with a CableCARD slot.  Many channels are not encrypted, such as the major networks in the US, but certain premium channels are.  I've heard about the Home Run series and I would consider those.  There are also the Ceton tuners. 

3939.png

#7 timbo59

timbo59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

Sorry, you're saying they're encrypted out of the back of the cable box? That doesn't sound right - each TV connected would need to unscramble the signal itself.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

Your cable box un scrabmbles the signal from your cable provider.  If you didn't have that you would need a tuner with built in cable card is what he was saying.

#9 timbo59

timbo59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

Umm yeah, that was actually my point. As I stated right from the start, my modus operandi is to feed the signal to my PC from the cable box to the video card/external device, not directly from the wall. So whether it's a card inserted into the PC, or an external device such as the one you suggested, both wouldn't have an issue with scrambled signals. I'm assuming the poster I questioned on the topic didn't read that first post, which is why i was querying his point about scrambled signals.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

That's right, I was putting that information out there just in case you wanted to do that.  You may need to maintain HDCP from the cable box to the PC if you want to see and record encrypted channels.  Unencrypted channels shouldn't have any issues.  I used to use an Avermedia TV Tuner years ago, but I haven't used it since.

3939.png

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

Okay so the device your looking for may be only a video capture device.  I have never used one but you may get some tips from the guys at Avermedia or videohelp.com

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users