Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defraglar $MFT problem in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MASF123

MASF123

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:43 AM

I can't get the $MFT file to defrag, I tried doing a boot time defrag to no luck. I am using Piriform's Defraglar program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:20 AM

Windows 10 is a technical preview, not a release version. I would not suggest relying on low level system utilities that aren't specified for the OS (quite apart from the almost non-existent requirement to defragment the MFT):

From Piriform:

System requirements

Defraggler will run on any PC running Microsoft Windows XP or later. If you're running one of the following operating systems, you're set to run Defraggler:

• Windows 8 (all editions, including 64-bit)
  • Windows 7 (all editions, including 64-bit)
  • Windows Vista (all editions, including 64-bit)
  • Windows XP (Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet Edition, 64-bit)
  • Windows 2003 and 2008 Server (all editions)

http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/introducing-defraggler/system-requirements

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 MASF123

MASF123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

So there is no way to defrag $MFT on Windows 10? I had it done before but now I can't.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

Why do you wish to defragment the Master File Table? There's almost never any worthwhile reason to do so.

I guess you could investigate if any other defragmenter that can defrag the MFT will work for you, and thus determine whether your difficulty is being caused by Defraggler's capabilities.

Edited by Platypus, 02 February 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#5 MASF123

MASF123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

I tried MyDefrag with no luck. Defraglar shows a red block on the $MFT on the chart. That is the only fragment I am missing. It says I have 0% fragment however the chart has a red on it. And the program screws up when I choose to defragment that block.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

If you really insist the MFT must be contiguous, you could experiment with Mark Russinovich's Contig:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428

however I can't say if there is something about Windows 10 that is making a difference, or if Contig is tested in Win 10.

I'm certainly thinking you're stressing over something that doesn't matter. Is the MFT reported as being in more than one fragment? If it is in two fragments, that's not unusual and also not necessarily a problem - in fact it can enhance performance in some circumstances. Having the MFT in two sections can reduce seek times, as defrag will place the files referenced in the second section closer to that location. This is not as beneficial as having two partitions, but can reduce the large arc seek back to the main MFT fragment when accessing the types of file that commonly fragment the MFT (very large numbers of frequently changing small files on a fairly full volume).

If there are more than 2 fragments, that is probably undesirable. If there is only one MFT fragment but this is indicating fragmentation, that's normal and the file system is designed to minimise it, but not be hugely troubled by it. You might be able to quantify a performance result from MFT defrag in a server, but probably not in a home or business workstation.

Edited by Platypus, 02 February 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#7 MASF123

MASF123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

I've tried that program before and couldn't figure it out.It just opens a command prompt that closes.

#8 jonPP

jonPP

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

try "repair" in programs and features...

I use PerfectDisk, thats how I got it to work

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users