Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java? problem using router

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mmotwo

mmotwo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:53 AM

Hi, In the last few days I've had problems loading some pictures on Facebook and other pages only show script. When I connect directly to my modem everything works fine & it only happens when I connect via the router. My daughter thinks it's a Java problem but neither of us know how to solve the problem. We've had the router for a few years so not sure why this has suddenly happened. We both are using laptops. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

mmotwo,  :welcome: to BC Forums! 

It sounds like your router may be giving out on you, or may need resetting. If you still have your manual, there should be some instructions as to how to do this, normally it involves inserting a small object (such as the end of a paper clip) into the Reset area & pressing for 30 seconds, it's a small button. 

Prior to this, any connected computers must be removed from it. If you don't have your manual, and can't find this yourself, we can help. Please provide Make & Model of router (such as Linksys WRT-160N), and we'll do our best to assist. There will be some things you'll need to do afterwards, such as resetting wireless password(s), disabling remote administration & a few other settings. 

However, before we do all of this, here's a trick that has helped many & may for you also. Simply unplug the power cord from the back of the router & let it stand for a minute, then replug in. It'll take a minute for all to come back up, but if the router is healthy, all will be fine. This happens to be the first troubleshooting step you'll go through if calling for assistance, so I suggest to try this first. 

Hope this is helpful, please let us know if we can further assist.  :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 February 2015 - 02:53 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 mmotwo

mmotwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. The first thing I did was disconnecting everything. Then reset using pen tip. No luck with either. I've looked at the manual for help but didn't find anything specific. I found a forum for netgear and there seems to be a problem with java 8. Will keep trying. Thanks again & thank you for the friendly welcome :D

#4 mmotwo

mmotwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:59 AM

Sorry I should have specified that the router is Netgear & the problem with Java 8 seems to be specific to Netgear?

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:09 AM

Do you really need Java for a particular reason? The reason I ask is because it's been known for 2-3 years that Java is a security risk. 

I've been Java free on my Windows OS's for over 2 years. However, some may need it. The only way to know would be to uninstall & see how your installed software runs w/out Java.

Here is an article that may be of interest to you. Check to see if your model is among those affected. 

http://securityspread.com/2014/01/04/linksys-cisco-netgear-router-read-this/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 February 2015 - 04:10 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

Keep in mind that JavaScript and Java are two different things. You don't need Java, but you definitely need JavaScript.

That being said, it could be a DNS issue.

Try changing DNS servers on one computer as a test.

Try either OpenDNS or Google Public DNS.

#7 mmotwo

mmotwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Phantom010. My daughter obviously didn't like my description on this topic so started her own & you responded with same info. She has had success with your advice, so I'll get her to do mine as well. :thumbsup2:

#8 mmotwo

mmotwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:57 PM

Thanks cat1092 for the article. My router WNR2000.is on the safe list. Good to know. :)

#9 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

:thumbup2:

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:03 AM

mmotwo, you're welcome! :)

Yes JavaScript & the installed Java software (what I was referring to) are totally different, we all need JavaScript, however only a small portion of consumers needs the full Java software component installed. If I'm not mistaken, it was in late 2012 when I removed the installed versions of Java from my computers. Couldn't tell any difference w/out it & from a security perspective, a lot better off. 

Many OEM's of today no longer ships Java with their computers, letting the consumer decide if it's needed or not. That probably was best, because many weren't keeping it updated, to do this properly, the old version must be manually removed & the new clean installed. Otherwise, components of the old are left behind, and that's where part of the security risk comes in. Simply having it installed is the rest of the risk. Criminals exploits the code to perform malicious deeds against unsuspecting users. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users