Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after login

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

I am having a major crisis with my gaming desktop when I log into Windows 7. It used to boot normally until I installed Ubuntu via Virtual box and now my PC logs into a black screen that only shows the cursor. Works when I boot into safe mode but givese no sound or internet. Can you guys please help me here and respond with a solution please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

Sounds like it might (possibly) be one of the services or drivers installed with virtualbox.

Does safe mode with networking boot normally or does that end in a black screen as well?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

Sounds like it might (possibly) be one of the services or drivers installed with virtualbox.
Does safe mode with networking boot normally or does that end in a black screen as well?

It does boot normally with Safe Mode and still has all my files in it but safe mode is a problem because you can't access the internet or sound or certain programs from it. I rather just get Windows 7 to boot normally. Got any suggestions to offer me?

#4 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

Also I deselected USB support, networking and python support when I installed virtualbox and by doing this I eliminated the need to install custom drivers.

#5 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:26 PM

Do you have anything important in that Ubuntu VM? If not, try uninstalling VirtualBox. If you can't uninstall VirtualBox try running a system restore to a date before VirtualBox was installed.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#6 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:31 PM

Do you have anything important in that Ubuntu VM? If not, try uninstalling VirtualBox. If you can't uninstall VirtualBox try running a system restore to a date before VirtualBox was installed.

I didn't finish installing Ubuntu but I saved it to continue the installation when I returned to Ubuntu.

#7 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

Besides is Virtualbox supposed to harm my Windows 7 desktop.

#8 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

Update- I found a way to try and fix the problem. I opened up safe mode which allowed me to enable the guest account and it works well on my guest account. I'll see if I could get my other account to work again.

#9 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

Update 2- I used the guest account to create a new user account to help me out with my problem here.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

Hi POKEGAMERZ :)

VirtualBox is fully compatible with Windows 7. What you could try is to uninstall it in Safe Mode then reboot normally and see if it works. Otherwise, create a new user account in Safe Mode, then boot normally and try to login in that account to see if it works.

Let me know how it goes.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hi POKEGAMERZ :)

VirtualBox is fully compatible with Windows 7. What you could try is to uninstall it in Safe Mode then reboot normally and see if it works. Otherwise, create a new user account in Safe Mode, then boot normally and try to login in that account to see if it works.

Let me know how it goes.

Well the thing is the guest account works but the internet won't work for me there and I added a new user account bit it gave me a blue screen with a cursor. Is there a way for me to get internet on the guest account?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

What I suggest you to do right now is to uninstall VirtualBox and restart your computer to see if you're still prompted a black screen. Can you do that?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

What I suggest you to do right now is to uninstall VirtualBox and restart your computer to see if you're still prompted a black screen. Can you do that?

I could try but the good news is that I fixed the internet on Safe Mode and should I try updating my windows 7 desktop before I completely get rid of Virtualbox or do I just get rid of Virtualbox?

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

I would get rid of VirtualBox first since it have a good chance of solving your issue. What do you mean by "updating my Windows 7 desktop"? What update?

unite_blue.png

#15 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

I would get rid of VirtualBox first since it have a good chance of solving your issue. What do you mean by "updating my Windows 7 desktop"? What update?

When I meant update I meant to see if updating Windows would solve my problems. Anyways I am planning to uninstall virtualbox but should I reinstall it and Ubuntu or just not do anything else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users