Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Died

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 timbo23

timbo23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hello. I have a 30 Gbtoshiba hard drive from my old laptop that sounds like the bearings went out in. Trying to boot from it, it can't find the hard drive to boot from. Is there any programs I can use to slave it to my desktop to do data recovery from?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

The drive is probably dead. If you are hearing head to disc noise, and the computer is not recognizing the drive, there is usually no hope. There are devices you can buy that will convert the laptop drive to fit a 40 pin cable, but it will be your call as if you want to spend the money for a try at data recovery. No extra software should be needed. A local computer shop may have something in place to do it. You also can send the drive off to a repair center but it is very expensive.

With that said... you can try one thing as a last resort. Remove the drive from your computer and wrap the side (not the top) of the drive with your hand. I have had hard drives to stick in a park position and that "freed" it.

Good luck

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users