Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emachines laptop screen went white halfway into xp64 install. vga out works.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 triplefour

triplefour

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

i got a stack of "dead" laptops from a friend and this was one of them. first symptoms it was seeming like stuck key because it would beep a whole lot and not start up. i took the keyboard out and this solved the problem. then the hard drive was corrupted or something. all the data was gone already so i just wiped it out and started over. was gonna make it dual boot xp64 and windows7. started installing xp64 and everything looked fine. left the room for a while, and when i came back the screen had gone completely white. i think the install was still going though because i could see lights flashing. i shut it down, restarted it, took the battery out, etc, reaseated the cable going from the LCD screen to the MB, all to no avail. all i ever get now is a white screen. no emachines logo, no nothing.

i hooked it up to an external monitor and it worked fine. was able to finish the install with no problems.

but what has happened here? why would the screen just crap out like that when no one was even touching it? and why did it work fine for hours and only do that when i was in the middle of the install?

and most importantly, what besides reseating that cable can i try to get the picture back?

can i say for sure that it is not a motherboard problem since the external VGA out works?   or is there a way a MB could only break the internal connection and still have the external usable?

or is it more likely some part of the screen that has "gone bad" ?

ive fixed a lot of desktops, but i guess im still kind of new to the laptop game because i havent seen/fixed this problem before.

this is my first post on this forum. i just registered today so go easy on me ;)

thanks!

edit:  thought i should mention the model of the laptop: its a Emachines e528-2325

i tried to look for a LCD cable on ebay but could only find the whole Panel

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xe528-2325&_nkw=e528-2325&_sacat=0

cant decide whether its the cable, MB, or panel though...so dont really want to just gamble.

took it completely apart and cleaned any dust. looked for any corroded parts on the motherboard or lcd panel board but didnt find any...

Edited by triplefour, 02 February 2015 - 09:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:49 AM

When you reseated the cable was it the connection to the system board or the connection to the LCD panel? From my searches I found the connection to the LCD panel can cause this issue. If that doesn't fix it I would suspect the LCD panel is bad. I found one on Amazon for 44 plus shipping. I have ordered from East Coast LCD's on Amazon before and had no problems with the screens or returning them if not needed.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:49 AM

Double post..

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 February 2015 - 04:49 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users