Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Professional Disc

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Smorton1951

Smorton1951

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

Bought a Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 7 Professional.  I thought it came with a Windows 7 Professional Disc but now that I looked it comes with a Windows 8.1 disc, I guess if I ever want to reformat.

Not what I thought I was getting.

Can I download a Windows 7 ISO (not even sure what that is) or something and then burn it to a DVD or a CD?

When on tech support with Windows.  What a jerk.  Said I should go to Windows 8.1.

I have the product id.  Can I do this?

Thanks

Smorton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

Here you go. If you also want to back up your activation files use this.

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

a ISO is a disk image, basically a carbon copy of the CD that you can burn into another CD. If you have your activation codes for windows 7 you can just download one from microsoft and that's it

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

Now I se that it is an OEM product key no. I suppose that changes everything?

Thanks

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

You can do it but  you need to activate by phone. Also would not be a bad idea to keep a backup of the activation.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-i-use-windows-7-oem-key-with-a-non-oem-disc/7788dfa2-94a7-4db3-8bcd-b0e109bd7b95

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

Your product key should still work with the Windows 7 Professional .iso that you'll download. If you are to burn the .iso on a DVD, I suggest you to use ImgBurn for that. Burn at a slow speed, x2 or x4, and make sure that Verification is enabled to make sure that the image burns properly on the drive. Alternatively, you can always create a bootable USB flash drive with the image using YUMI. You'll need a USB flash drive of at least 4GB in order to do that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

Will the product key say OEM right on it?
Sm

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:36 PM

I don't think that these product keys are tagged as "OEM", like it's not written on them. However, you'll still be able to use it to activate your Windows via phone activation (which takes 2-3 minutes, it's really easy).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the help.

SM

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:17 AM

Hello there,

Please allow me to give my two cents.

If you wish to create a bootable Windows flash drive, my recommendation is to use the official tool from Microsoft. It's strictly only for creating bootable Windows flash drives and DVDs, but is easy to use and has a ~100% success rate (after all it is from Microsoft).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex

#11 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:53 AM

If it is a OEM machine you should have COA sticker on the side of the box that looks like this: http://thetechcookbook.com/change-windows-7-product-key/ in Step One.

If you do download an ISO image you have to make sure it matches the version of Windows that is listed on the COA sticker. For example you can not use a Windows ultimate image with a Windows pro key.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:33 AM

If the Dell is still under warranty, it may be, as the XPS 8700 is still distributed, one can request, free of charge, a backup DVD of the original OS installed when purchased. Here's the link, and it works, because it's how I obtained mine. No phone call was made, I filled out the form & had the DVD inside of 24 hours, because I had next day business support (as a Costco member, still do, for one extra year). 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/media

I needed mine because the original recovery media set created doesn't work with HDD/SSD's smaller than what shipped with the computer. In my case, that was Windows 8, however I also installed a full retail version of Windows 7 Pro that I had & later Ultimate as a 3rd Windows option. 

Many Dell owners has this benefit & doesn't realize it, have posted this numerous times to many owners, they're one of the few OEM's who'll freely give this for the asking, if under warranty. It's best to have this, even if one doesn't plan to install a SSD. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:32 AM

Hello there,

Please allow me to give my two cents.

If you wish to create a bootable Windows flash drive, my recommendation is to use the official tool from Microsoft. It's strictly only for creating bootable Windows flash drives and DVDs, but is easy to use and has a ~100% success rate (after all it is from Microsoft).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alex

I used to support that tool at 100% in the past, but then I saw how frequent it was failing and people couldn't use it to create a bootable USB. Then a friend showed me YUMI, and it didn't fail a single time so far for me and all the others I recommended it to. The tool you recommended is still good but compared to YUMI, it have a higher failure rate.

unite_blue.png

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

Personally, I use Rufus for creating a bootable USB because it supports UEFI. But if it fails I go to Yumi.

As far as using a Pro Key with Ultimate. I have not done it with the Digital River downloads but by removing ei.cfg you will get the option to install any version. All editions are on one disk.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:40 AM

RUFUS is also good, it's what I recommend to use when people wants to install Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 7 64-bits on a GPT partitionned HDD otherwise it won't work.

Edited by Aura., 02 February 2015 - 08:41 AM.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users