Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update errors

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Phantm_Stranger

Phantm_Stranger

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hey guys,

First I want to say that I love these forums, they have helped me work out numerous problems while working on clients machines. It's great to have a resource such as you guys to fall back on when you get stuck resolving an issue.

Now, I have a Lenovo All-in-one machine i'm working on now. Running Windows Vista Home Edition (64 bit). Originally the problem was when you logged in, Explorer.exe would crash immediately. I have since resolved that issue. I now have the machine running and just about everything is back to normal, except Windows updates.

This is where i will start. Just today I went to Microsoft's Support site and tried to use the Microsoft Fix-it to see if it could find anything, which was no luck. It gets to the "Windows Update" screen where it wants to Detect problems...  the error i get just says "Troubleshooting cannot proceed" The troubnleshooter has experienced an unexpected error and cannot continue. Gives me a link to "Explore additional solutions online", which actually gives me nothing.

So on that same page, they also provide the Manual reset instructions, so i start making my way through these instructions and that's when i find the following:

- try to "net stop appidsvc" and get the following:  System error 1060 has occurred. The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

- when i try to reregister the BITS files and the Windows Update files, i get errors for certain DLLs. I'll try to attach those in a text file when i make this post.

I previously ran several tools (ESET online, ADWCleaner, Malwarebytes) to clean Malware and a few trojans that were listed.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Attached File  dll errors.txt   2.65KB   4 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:44 PM

From an administrative command prompt run sfc /scannow then "findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt""

Next, after restarting, download and run the System Update Readiness Tool

After another restart, download and run SFCFix

Upload sfcfix.txt and sfcdetails.txt from your desktop and CheckSURT.log from C:\windows\logs\cbs with your next reply.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 Phantm_Stranger

Phantm_Stranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for the response Wiz. Requested files attached...

On a side note, when i tried to run the System update readiness tool earlier today, it would never finish, this time it was able to run successfully.

Attached File  sfcdetails.txt   95.25KB   5 downloads

Attached File  SFCFix.txt   1.95KB   15 downloads

Attached File  CheckSUR.log   1.94KB   8 downloads

#4 Phantm_Stranger

Phantm_Stranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:03 AM

Still standing by for when you are available.  Thanks

#5 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. My Vista x64 image is a little out of date, so it's missing this particular file. I'll get the updates installed.

In the mean time, please run the System Update Readiness Tool and upload the CheckSUR.log file again, I'd like to make sure it actually repaired that registry entry.

I'll try to get back to you later tonight.

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

I've created a SFCFix zip for you to try.

!!! WARNING !!! The following fix is only relevant for this system and no other, running the script on another computer will not work and may cause problems...

• download SFCFix.zip and save the file on the same folder as SFCFix.exe
  • Single click on SFCFix.zip and drag and drop it on top of SFCFix.exe. SFCFix will open and will run the fix.
  • A logfile called SFCFix.txt will open (and it's saved on the same folder as SFCFix.exe)
  • Please upload the report (sfcfix.txt) with your next reply

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 03 February 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#7 Phantm_Stranger

Phantm_Stranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:37 AM

Applied the SFCFix.zip, attached is the .txt

Rebooted and currently letting the System Update Readiness Tool run while i go to bed. Will post the CheckSUR.log file once it's complete, most likely in the morning.

Attached File  SFCFix.txt   2.66KB   6 downloads

Edited by Phantm_Stranger, 04 February 2015 - 12:52 AM.

#8 Phantm_Stranger

Phantm_Stranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:02 AM

Wiz,

I rebooted after I ran the System Update Readiness Tool. I'm attaching all sfcdetails.txt and the CheckSUR.log files for your review. I'm about to leave for work, but will start the normal windows update and see if they are successful when i get home this afternoon.

Attached File  sfcdetails.txt   95.25KB   3 downloads

Attached File  CheckSUR.log   1.56KB   1 downloads

#9 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

Looks good so far. Let me know if Windows Update functions correctly for you.

#10 Phantm_Stranger

Phantm_Stranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

Still no joy.... I left the updates running. When i got home this afternoon, it had only installed 3 updates (KB3019215, KB30226777, and KB3021674), all others failed.

Had 3 error codes listed on the Windows Update page (screenshot attached).

I'm pretty much lost at this point, waiting for guidance.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Attached File  update_errors.jpg   69.17KB   1 downloads

#11 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

Go ahead and reboot, then make sure to click 'check for updates' before attempting to install.

If the updates fail again, check the Update History and record the KB # and error code for each failed update, then include them in your next reply.

#12 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

Hi there,
Have you disabled antivirus, and performed a clean startup? 
Information on how to achieve a clean startup using msconfig can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Information on how to reset windows update components can be found here(This fixes a lot of problems with windows update): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Original information found here regarding Winupdate error 80070652: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/error-code-80070652/165827eb-dcc9-4bd9-9411-a9a27809624f

Additionally this problem has been linked to dell support software issues on several machines. If you are running a dell it is recommended that you disable and uninstall the dell software updater tool.

As an extra step you can attempt to run Tweaking.com's Windows Repair All In One from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

Edited by ChiefTech, 04 February 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#13 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:18 AM

Hello,

You need to run SFC /SCANNOW after replacing the file with SFCFix.

SFC /SCANNOW

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button. Inside the search box type in CMD

• Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator

• Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW

• Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.

Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:

cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

• Press Enter

• Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

#14 Phantm_Stranger

Phantm_Stranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

Guys, I really appreciate all your assistance. Unfortunately I was called out on some emergency work this past week. I will not have the time to work on resolving this issue. I have decided to backup all of the user files i have on here and try to just wipe and restore the machine back to original.

Again, I'm really glad there are folks like you around that take the time to assist others when they are having issues.

Thanks again.

#15 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for letting us know and best of luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users