Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cpdion

cpdion

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

I got a blue screen last night and haven't had one since then. I found out about Last Working Configuration too late, so I did a system restore. I then tried to figure out the problem. I have one hardware conflict and it is from teredo tunneling pseudo-interface, but I have no idea what that is and I do not know if it can cause a blue screen. I don't know if any hardware isn't working or if some software is causing the problem. I didn't download anything recently. The last thing I downloaded was 7Zip (at least I think so) and that was on 1/27/15.   When the blue screen happened I was listening to music and playing a game, and it was really unexpected. I did not get a chance to see the blue screen message or take a picture because it immediately shut down afterwards.  I am constantly on edge now because any moment I think the blue screen will happen again. If anyone can help me figure out the problem I will be really grateful. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Intpee

Intpee

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hi!

Have you had any bluescreens before that one? If so, when was it? If that's just a one-time occurance, there is probably no need to worry. I can try to check what was causing the problem, but you would need to give me a report from a program called BlueScreen View. You can get it here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html#DownloadLinks

Download the version that is suitable for your system and then launch the application. Then right-click on the upper panel and select "HTML Report - All Items". Please attach that report to your next reply.

#3 cpdion

cpdion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:48 PM

Actually I have had 9 crashes...but I only knew that I had one. I guess the others happened to other members of my family because this is a shared computer. It kind of bothers me they never mentioned it though...anyway one of the errors is KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and I think I may know why. For a while now when the computer's hardware gets checked to see if is working it would say the hard disk(or drive? I forgot)isn't passing on some tests (I think it was memory tests). It looks like the computer has had the problem for some time (since the year we got it), but I was only aware of that a few months ago. The last blue screen was some time ago though, so idk, but I am guessing this was triggered by something. I just wanted to explain the whole background because I searched up the problem thinking that it might be related. 

Anyway here is the report:

file:///C:/Users/Lisa/AppData/Local/Temp/report.html

Edit: I just noticed it doesn't have the info on the latest crash..idk why

Edited by cpdion, 01 February 2015 - 08:49 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

Hi cpdion :)

The "Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Interface Adapter" is a Windows driver used for IPv6, so unless your system and network is configured for full IPv6 support, you don't need that driver/device. In fact, it'll show as "This device isn't properly working" on pretty much every Windows system but it won't cause any problems. In order to help you with your BSODs, we'll need you to update your minidump logs. The report you gave us is a "local path", which means a path that is located on your own system, we cannot access it. Follow the instructions below please.

Inxv2xa.pngBSOD Minidumps
Follow the instructions below to get and upload your BSOD minidumps so I can analyze them:
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop called dumps;
  • Go in your C:\windows\minidump folder, copy every files inside then paste them in your dumps folder;
  • Right-click on the dumps folder, select Send to then Compressed (zipped) folder;
  • Attach the compressed folder (archive) to your next reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

For a while now when the computer's hardware gets checked to see if is working it would say the hard disk(or drive? I forgot)isn't passing on some tests (I think it was memory tests)

Your hard drive may be failing if you are getting those messages. If your memory were bad you would BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) constantly, or the computer would freeze and restart, etc. Check your hard drive as follows:

*Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen click "Seatools For DOS" link, then accept the Eula and download. Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. If Seatools reports that SMART has been tripped that is a bad sign. It may ask you if you want to continue, say yes. Next click the upper left corner of the screen for the long test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate.

If it registers Fail, I suggest you make an image of your operating system immediately, so you can get a new drive and re-image back onto it. At least get your data off the drive immediately.

[EDIT]: Make sure your BIOS boot order is set to 1st Boot Device=CD, 2nd Boot Device = HDD.

Edited by ranchhand_, 02 February 2015 - 12:20 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:23 AM

Hello there :)

ranchhand, below here I have another utility that can be used to test disks and read S.M.A.R.T. reports. It is fully portable and does not require any installations whatsoever. I dumped SeaTools for Windows for it :P

Please download GSmartControl and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract gsmartcontrol-0.8.7-win32.zip to a folder, double-click on gsmartcontrol.exe
  • A list of hard drives will appear, single-click each disk to see Drive Information and identify your drive
    note: most machines will only have one or two entries, but an easy way to identify your drive is by its size.
  • Double-click on the hard drive to see detailed Device Information
  • Click on the Attributes tab, do you see any red or pink entries like the ones below? Please list the names in your next reply if there are any.
    info_failing.png
  • Click on the Perform Tests tab
  • Select Extended Self-Test and click Execute
    note: this test can take several hours to run
  • Allow the test to complete, the results will be displayed at the bottom
Please post screenshots of three tabs: Perform Tests, Attributes and Self-test Logs in your next reply.

#7 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:55 AM

I think first you should run these commands SFC /SCANNOW and CHKDSK. Then check the SMART status of the drive and accordingly change the drive. If still the issue persists, then boot your PC in safe mode. And if this method also doesn’t work, then reinstall windows again.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:27 AM

I think first you should run these commands SFC /SCANNOW and CHKDSK. Then check the SMART status of the drive and accordingly change the drive. If still the issue persists, then boot your PC in safe mode. And if this method also doesn’t work, then reinstall windows again.

You know what most BSODs are caused by software/driver conflict right? Which means that there's a high possibility that none of your solution works since none of them include driver update (the faulty one if there is) or software uninstall, if a software is making the system BSOD. This is why it's too soon to assume anything when you don't have the minidump logs. Also, a plain chkdsk won't do anything, you need to add a switch, which in this case is chkdsk /r.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

@Alexstrasza...

Thank you for your suggestion, it appears to be a useful tool.  If you will notice, I did not specify Seatools for Windows, I spec'd. Seatools for DOS. It does not require installation, and runs from outside Windows. This is very useful if the operating system cannot be booted due to system corruption or other factors, which is quite common. Also, many posters do not have a lot of experience with computers, and a complicated readout can cause more confusion than help. That is why I use it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 cpdion

cpdion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:00 PM

Also I know this is a noob question, but how do you even attach files on this forums? Apparently I could do it on my other threads, but not on here. Anyway I am doing the GSmartControl test right now.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

You can simply copy and paste the file in the reply box apparently, or drag it in it.

unite_blue.png

#12 cpdion

cpdion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

It still isn't working...dragging it in just downloads another file and I tried copy and paste though I am not sure if you mean the normal copy/paste. 

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

You can just upload the file on ge.tt or mega.co.nz and post the download URL here. I'll download it.

unite_blue.png

#14 cpdion

cpdion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

ok here is the file:

http://ge.tt/9gQ8Cl92/v/0

im still doing the GSmartcontrol test.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

It seems that your latest BSOD minidump is from January 22nd 2014. Can you check if your Windows is set to create a minidump file on BSOD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/174459-dump-files-configure-windows-create-bsod.html

You want to do the steps in Option One, 6. To have Windows Create a Small memory dump (Minidump) File on BSOD. Let me know when it's done.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users