Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting A Replacement Dell Insprion 6000

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

Hello,
Since my Hard-drive on my dell is busted, they will be sending me a replacement Inspiron 6000. I want to know if there is anything I should be thinking of putting on the new laptop as far as security programs, word processors, etc.... ?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

You will get the basic 6 month MacAfee or Norton trial but to be honest I would uninstall that and use on of the recommended freeware antivirus'. I would personally but the following on the computer as soon as you get it.
AVG free
Sybot S&D
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
Defender
Ewido

Ad-Aware SE
And preload the online antivirus scanning software (Your choice of 4 or 5)
OpenOffice 2.0

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

There is a lot of good freeware you can put on your computer. Use the recommended list from BC and you should be safe. With the removal tools and online scanner, it's usually very hard to install them once infected, so I like to preload for when I need them. They do not sit in memory so there is no overhead, as long as you have the hard drive space.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

I was referring more to programs that help with word processing and audio....
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

Oops! OpenOffice is a great Office Suite.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users