Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing my wifi router password, or trying to..

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rogerVA

rogerVA

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

I have a Linksys router and I am trying to change my password.  After finding instructions online, I typed in the http://192.168.1.1/ address and easily changed my password.  I saved changes and got the SETTINGS ARE SUCCESSFUL notice.  The problem is, even though I now have to type in that new password to access the management page, the password to the router (as accessed by my wifi devices) hasn't changed, it's the same as it used to be.  I have tried multiple times retyping the new password and it takes every time.

Am I forgetting a step?   Can anybody help me out?  Do I need to reset the router (button on back?) for the new password to take?

It's frustrating, which is why I joined this forum.  I'm not computer expert (to put it kindly), so please be gentle in your terminology and instruction... :)

Thanks everybody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:48 PM

The password you changed is for the management of your router. You need to go into the Wireless --> Wireless Security to change your wireless connection password. They are 2 different passwords. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 rogerVA

rogerVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

I don't see any password info underneath that WIRELESS SECURITY tab.  The four lines are Security Mode, WPA Algorithms, WPA Shared Key, Group Key Renewal.  Is Shared Key where I'd type in a new password? THANKS for the reply!

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

What is the model number? It seems the management UI has changed.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 rogerVA

rogerVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

WRT54G2

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

Did you put a different firmware on that router?

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=cfb50c0dc992443ab2405a782cca60f7_19073.xml& shows the same thing I was talking about.

#7 rogerVA

rogerVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

Not that I know of, I haven't.  Maybe I'll assume the WPA SHARED KEY line is where I can put in a new password?  Apologies for my cluelessness.  

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

Did you click the link to see if yours is the same or different? If it's different then we go from there.

#9 rogerVA

rogerVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:30 PM

Yes, when I click the WPA2 PERSONAL link on the page you linked, the options are a bit different than what I see in my router screen.

Edited by rogerVA, 01 February 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Interesting.....I would use WPA2 if you can. And it should be passphrase but it could be called shared key. Make sure you use some caps. lower case, and numbers.

But I'd like to make sure, can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?

#11 rogerVA

rogerVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

Sorry for delay.  

Attached Files

#12 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

Weird......yes that's it. =)

#13 rogerVA

rogerVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

Cool I'll try to change SHARED KEY and hope for the best, hah.  Will check back in with results.  Thank you!

#14 rogerVA

rogerVA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

SUCCESS!  Thank you so much, Cave!  Now I can finally connect my phone and Kindle to my wifi.  My previous password was too short for those new devices to accept.  I really appreciate your time.  

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:55 PM

Glad it worked. You are most welcome. It's weird that it's not the same but who cares? IT WORKS!!! =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users