Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista cd rom problems

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sborobleepingcomp

sborobleepingcomp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

I have a HP a6683w 2.0 GHZ 2.0 GB Windows Vista Home Service Pack 2 32 bit computer that is having issues with the cd/dvd rom. I can put in a good cd and it spits it out and says please insert disk when i try to read from it. I have bought a new SATA drive and it does the same. I do not want to format or reload windows if at all possible. I have done the Microsoft fix it and it did not work. i also have done the registry fixes found online and that did not work. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

Try changing the SATA cable to a different port and also change the SATA cable if you can do that.

#3 sborobleepingcomp

sborobleepingcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

Try changing the SATA cable to a different port and also change the SATA cable if you can do that.

Already tried that. Did the same thing.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,685 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

If you have the install disk type CMD in the search box Right click > Run as Administrator and do a sfc /scannow to check for corrupted system files. If that does not work the only other thing I can think of is to possibly reinstall the chipset drivers. I went to HP site but it seems they are no longer offering driver downloads for the computer.

#5 sborobleepingcomp

sborobleepingcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

If you have the install disk type CMD in the search box Right click > Run as Administrator and do a sfc /scannow to check for corrupted system files. If that does not work the only other thing I can think of is to possibly reinstall the chipset drivers. I went to HP site but it seems they are no longer offering driver downloads for the computer.

Did that and it found some files it could not fix. went to cbs log and it would not let me open it up.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,685 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Type CMD > Right click Run As Administrator. Copy and paste this command. Post the contents of sfcdetails.txt in your next post.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt   <enter>

#7 sborobleepingcomp

sborobleepingcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

Type CMD > Right click Run As Administrator. Copy and paste this command. Post the contents of sfcdetails.txt in your next post.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt   <enter>

FINDSTR: Cannot open B.

FINDSTR: Cannot open ********\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

It did not open anything.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,685 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

I not sure what the problem is, sorry. I don't understand why you cannot open CBS.log Hopefully a BC advisor will see this thread and add their thoughts.

Does the following command also give an error?

findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

#9 sborobleepingcomp

sborobleepingcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

I not sure what the problem is, sorry. I don't understand why you cannot open CBS.log Hopefully a BC advisor will see this thread and add their thoughts.

Does the following command also give an error?

findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

That command did not give an error but it did not open up anything either.

No exclaimation marks in device manager.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,685 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

there should be a file named sfcdetails.txt in your %windir%\logs\cbs\ directory.

#11 sborobleepingcomp

sborobleepingcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

there should be a file named sfcdetails.txt in your %windir%\logs\cbs\ directory.

notta

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,685 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:29 PM

Well, I am out of ideas on this one, sorry. Like I say, hopefully a BC Advisor will look at this thread.

#13 sborobleepingcomp

sborobleepingcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for your help.

#14 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:41 AM

Hello,

What we will do here is just grab the whole CBS folder, when looking at SFC errors it is best to get all the previous information as well, just in case anything important has been missed.

Export CBS folder
  • Click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Attach this to your next post please.
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

#15 sborobleepingcomp

sborobleepingcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hello,

What we will do here is just grab the whole CBS folder, when looking at SFC errors it is best to get all the previous information as well, just in case anything important has been missed.

Export CBS folder

• Click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Attach this to your next post please.
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

says file not found or no read permission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users