Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot laptop - BSOD iaStor.sys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ykket

ykket

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

Hey all,

Trying to troubleshoot a Lenovo IdeaPad laptop here. It suddenly began to bluescreen with 0x7b and iaStor.sys file. I was not able to boot in to any safe mode (stops at Classpnp.sys) or recovery (I also tried last known good configuration with no luck). In the BIOS I changed from RAID to AHCI and I am able to get in to the recovery (still no safe mode, etc). 

In the recovery console, I tried chkdsk, sfc /scannow, and other commands from the command prompt. Also tried a system restore. All with no luck still.

As a test, I booted in to Acronis and backed up the entire disk and then restored it to a VM. The VM has the same issue which leads me to believe that it is a software/driver issue and not the physical drive or laptop. 

At this point, I am looking for suggestions on what to try next. I was thinking of booting to Windows 7 disk (via usb since no cd drive) and trying  a repair install. I have a backup of all files so I am not too concerned if something is lost as I can recover it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,552 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

Hello, and Welcome

If you have Acronis, do you have a previous disk image?  Explore that with Acronis and replace iaStor.sys. If you do not have a disk image, find the chipset or RAID drivers and see if you can extract iaStor.sys from those.

0x7b is a failure of the mass storage driver.

I believe you can only do a repair install of Windows 7 from within Windows. You can try a startup repair with the Install Disk.

See This.  When you get to the Windows where is detects your OS (step 6), there is a button for loading drivers. Attach your USB with the Mass Storage Drivers and press Load Drivers. If Windows then boots, you can do a repair install or reinstall your Mass Storage Drivers with the standard exe driver.

#3 ykket

ykket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

This is not my own laptop, I was given it to see why it was blue screening so I do not have any backups. I only used Acronis to take a backup/image just in case. 

I am not able to boot in to Windows so I am not sure how to do a repair install. I have the driver downloaded to try to replace just need to figure out how.

I was going to test it using a VM (Virtualbox) but since the disk hardware is not the same it does not take the driver. Ideally I would like to verify a fix on my image and then make those changes to the actual disk.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 from the links below.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed.  These images are hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has been created click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ykket

ykket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

This particular laptop does not have a cd/dvd drive. I have already downloaded the correct ISO and have it set up on a bootable USB. 

#6 ykket

ykket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

I created a bootable USB with Windows 7 Home Premium on it, booted to it and went to do a repair. I asked me to load the drivers (since it could not see the disk), so I selected the downloaded drivers I got from the Lenovo site. It went to load them, then BSOD with iaStorA.sys. 

I changed the BIOS from RAID to AHCI and boot to the USB and go to repair. It then finds the installation on the D: drive. I'm going to play around in here to see if I can get any farther.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users