Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly, Adwcleaner per Windows 8.1 wrong type?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robert House

Robert House

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

I have Windows 8.1. My programs are now are exceedingly slow and Chrome won't do anything after opening. (I'm renting this hp Pavillion 20 All in one., but it's my SSD and OS). I uninstalled Norton suite (because of slowness) and wanted to use Adwcleaner per usual and the "smart" screen bar says it's not for Windows 8.1 and to contact the maker. I've never had an issue using it in the past. 

Also, tried to reinstall Norton 360 Suite X2, after using the norton uninstaller,  but at the very end it spins and never finishes installation.  Used Symantic Erasure (with support) but without any significant results.  So I put in Iobit antimalware 3.0 and the latest Zone Alarm firewall. Any thoughts? All clear from the Iobit scan.

This is odd, but please don't bother with detailed advise about virus removal,I'll re image soon after I give this slow rental back)  But, I'd still like to use Adwcleaner. Hm. Thanks if anyone can give me an idea of what's happening. Erasure did the rootkit check too.   Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

Hi Rob,

From what I know, AdwCleaner is compatible with Windows 8.1. You can temporary disable SmartScreen if you need to run AdwCleaner.

And also one piece of advice from me: Don't use IOBit products.

Personally, I do not trust any company that creates so-called "optimization" products, bundles unwanted software into their installations and not allowing users to opt out, and stole intellectual property from other companies - in this case, database signatures from Malwarebytes Corporation.

I recommend that you uninstall IOBit Malware Fighter and use a reputable AV software, along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Anti-Malware for additional AM protection.

Regards,
Alex

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

I agree with Alex. You should uninstall IObit Malware Fighter, along with every IObit products you have and use more reputable Antimalware. Considering the fact that IObit stole Malwarebytes definitions for their Malware Fighter, you are just using a pale copy of Malwarebytes. Would be way better to use the original don't you think?

warning.gifiObit Software Warning!
I noticed that you have programs from iObit installed on your system. iObit have been accused in the past from using shady techniques in order to promote and enhance their products, one of which was to steal Malwarebytes' definition database to include it in their "Antimalware", iObit Malware Fighter. On top of that, their main product, Advanced SystemCare, goes into the "PC Booster" category of program, which are useless programs that are useless since there's no proofs or facts that these actually boost the performance of a system, and are borderline "scamware". In fact, these programs have a tendency to cause a variety of issues under Windows, that can be solved by uninstalling the software, ironic isn't it? Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall every iObit program you have installed on your system before we continue. You are free to reinstall them after I'm done assisting you if you wish to ignore my warning above.

Relevant articles:

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Robert House

Robert House
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:53 PM

Um, I won't bite on that one. Six years is a generation in technology. I only wanted thoughts to my specific issue. I don't appreciate the side topic but thanks for your time.  Good day.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:10 AM

So I understand that you intend on keeping IObit Malware Fighter installed, or am I wrong?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:45 AM

Hi there,

So I understand that you intend on keeping IObit Malware Fighter installed, or am I wrong?

*elbows Aura*

Six years is a generation in technology.

Considering that their products aren't any better then than they are now, wouldn't it be wise to switch to other reputable programs that do the same thing, sir?

Just my two cents :)

Best regards,
Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users